intersting experiment on inductance mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intersting experiment on inductance mod

Just seen on YT this video , it's interesting, he modifies the pu inductance applying nails on bottom , you can hear the differences

Thx for sharing.

Yep, adding iron boosts the inductance... That's the reason why pickups become more inductive with alloys containing more iron (A3>A2>A4>A5)...

For a similar effect, Fender did mount ferrous screws in the holes between rod magnets of Strat bridge pickups in the early 2000's (those with plastic bobbins).
    Di-Marzio adds slugs between magnetic poles for decades and with the same goal...

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Interesting, but I can't help but wonder if refocusing the magnetic field had as much, if not more, impact on the change in tone? I guess it would be impossible to separate the two.

Comment

Congratulations! He reinvented the TwangBanger!

Comment

the jaguar pickup claws come to my mind

Comment

Jaguar pickup claws surely increase the inductance but they have a slightly different effect because of their shape, modifying laterally the magnetic field. Reason why I rather see Jaguar SC's as a Fender Variation on the Burns Tri-Sonic recipe.

I wouldn't either think of added iron as having exactly the same effect than a copper-plated steel baseplate under a Tele or Tele alike SC: this other recipe certainly increases the inductance but a layer of copper under the coil also brings more eddy currents than a mere add of ferrous mass.

In any cases, I agree with Artie, inductive changes interact with magnetism in such experiments.

...And I can't help to recall that increasing artificially the inductance is not the only way to make a Strat pickup less "thin" sounding: increasing cable capacitance is still simpler but not less effective IMHO, as illustrated in the past by Hendrix, SRV and a couple of other Strat players... YMMV.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

One of my Lollar Strat pickups has the steel baseplate.
              I think even that small an amount of iron has an audible effect.
              Subtle but perceptible, in my case.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
              X