Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbucker with thin shape

Hi,

For reason of space in a new prototype I need a very thin HB. suitable for a no more than 20mm deep in the solid body very thin guitar

It is Click image for larger version

Name:	HB symD.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	6275695Very difficult to find.

Do you think that cutting a piece of the 6 ferrite cilindrrs as in the picture the sound could be seriously damaged.?

I dont want to waste an item making the experience.

The HB I'm looking for must be warm for typical jazz sound.
    thanks to all
    Renato

zz0.ou17asqa5bizz

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi,

For reason of space in a new prototype I need a very thin HB. suitable for a no more than 20mm deep in the solid body very thin guitar

It is Click image for larger version

Name:	HB symD.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	6275695Very difficult to find.

Do you think that cutting a piece of the 6 ferrite cilindrrs as in the picture the sound could be seriously damaged.?

I dont want to waste an item making the experience.

The HB I'm looking for must be warm for typical jazz sound.
    thanks to all
    Renato

zz0.ou17asqa5bizz
    Hi,

The sound won't be "damaged" but should be slightly brighter with shorter screw poles.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Since it's a new prototype, does it have to be a regular humbucker. Could you use a thinner pup, like a P90 Silencer? Jazzmaster is real thin too, but not a humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Since it's a new prototype, does it have to be a regular humbucker. Could you use a thinner pup, like a P90 Silencer? Jazzmaster is real thin too, but not a humbucker.
        thanks, you mean this? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	109
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6275703
        Click image for larger version

Views:	99
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	6275704the dimension are good, thereis 8mm up and almost 12 below
        if I make a hole deep 13 or 14 mm inside the guitar the pickup could be aligned with the fretboard

I will seriously consider this pickup perhaps in the version soapbar that is even thinner.

Do you think the sound is really jazzy?

thanks again
        renato

zz0.2m02e3nvt0uzz

Comment

Why don't you just use a Benedetto S-6 or S-7?

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Hi,

The sound won't be "damaged" but should be slightly brighter with shorter screw poles.
            brighter and tighter

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              Why don't you just use a Benedetto S-6 or S-7?

https://www.benedettoguitars.com/product/s-6-pick-up/
              excellent, do you think is it possible to cut the lateral support?

Views:	82
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	6275717
              I mean ... is it only a support or there is something inside?
              Thanks
              renato​

Comment

thanks, you mean this? Click image for larger version

Views:	109
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6275703

Views:	99
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	6275704the dimension are good, thereis 8mm up and almost 12 below
                if I make a hole deep 13 or 14 mm inside the guitar the pickup could be aligned with the fretboard

I will seriously consider this pickup perhaps in the version soapbar that is even thinner.

Do you think the sound is really jazzy?

thanks again
                renato

zz0.2m02e3nvt0uzz
                If you have room, 14-15mm would be best.
                Jazzy? Some of the best jazz tones ever made were on P-90s. Plus some of the best rock tones as well. Actually, the best tones of ANY genre are made on a P-90!
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post

brighter and tighter
                  Yep. Tighter because brighter. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

If you have room, 14-15mm would be best.
                    Jazzy? Some of the best jazz tones ever made were on P-90s. Plus some of the best rock tones as well. Actually, the best tones of ANY genre are made on a P-90!
                    Thanks, I think I will try with P90, the dimensions and the references are good.
                    Bye

Comment

excellent, do you think is it possible to cut the lateral support?

Views:	82
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	6275717
                      I mean ... is it only a support or there is something inside?
                      Thanks
                      renato​
                      you could, but you need a way to mount the pup and which is what that is for

Comment

P90 as a non-humbucker and a mini humbucker if you want to stay humbucking- two of the best jazz pups available..

Keep in mind, a lot of jazz tone is string type and the tone control...
                        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Yep. Tighter because brighter. :-P
                          In this case maybe, I can think of examples where brighter doesn’t mean tighter, but I am sure you know that

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post

In this case maybe, I can think of examples where brighter doesn’t mean tighter, but I am sure you know that
                            As I'm sure you know that I've initially posted in this topic in order to help, as usual, rather than showing what I "know" or not. :-)

Now and if it's necessary to explain why I've not added "tighter" to "brigther" in my first answer: it was not only to keep it short by avoiding unrequested details. It's also because in my understanding, shorter screws do mostly two things: dimininishing the inductance for a higher pitched resonant frequency. Diminishing eddy currents for a higher Q factor. Both make the resonant frequency more trebly and narrower. IOW: brighter, with tighter bass as a side effect.

To the OP: +1 about P90's as an excellent choice for jazz, Benedetto PU's and Epiphone style mini-hum's being to consider too. This agreement didn't require a new post but while I'm at it... Hope you'll find what you want. Show us your guitar when it will be built! Good luck in your work.

Indifferent side note - When I had to mount a Dyna-Sonic in a cavity not deep enough, I've drilled a narrow hole under each of the six long screws. It worked well without changing the tone. FWIW.

Comment

Indifferent side note - When I had to mount a Dyna-Sonic in a cavity not deep enough, I've drilled a narrow hole under each of the six long screws. It worked well without changing the tone. FWIW.

+1 for that. Easy peasy fix, and no need for a router.
                              I'm actually doing something similar to that on a current build. I'm installing "Silencers" in a build that has a thin body so I don't want a deep rout. I've got metal mounting plates with threaded holes for pup height adjustment in the bottom of the routs. I've drilled holes in the pup rout beneath those screws holes for the height screws of the pup.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X