While we are talking hex screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While we are talking hex screws

Are these the right screws to replace the hex screws in my BBW?

Yeah, those look right. Those are 1010 steel which will give you a slightly warmer tone than the usual 1018 steel screws. Very subtle difference, though.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Yeah, those look right. Those are 1010 steel which will give you a slightly warmer tone than the usual 1018 steel screws. Very subtle difference, though.
      Are the Duncan hex screws 1018? Also... 1018 relates to the carbon content, right? Does that relate to 10.9 or 12.9 grade in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        Are these the right screws to replace the hex screws in my BBW?

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...-plated-qty-6/
        Which ones are you replacing and why?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

Which ones are you replacing and why?
          I am replacing the poles and putting on gold covers for aesthetics. I am leaving the slugs as hexes, seeing they will be under the covers.

Comment

They sound pretty much the same, there is no major leap in the sonic properties. I might play them side by side with my other BWs later but there really is no reason to, they sound great.

Comment

i dig it! did ya notice much tonal change?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                They sound pretty much the same, there is no major leap in the sonic properties. I might play them side by side with my other BWs later but there really is no reason to, they sound great.

Bottom pic is a great mix of classy and tough guy, that neck pickup doesn't need a cover.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

It's too late, the neck is on, and what a PITA. The black powder-coated base had to be sanded/scuffed to hold the soldier, and there was just a tiny area to soldier the plate to the cover, seeing that there were three magnets in the pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i dig it! did ya notice much tonal change?
                    Not really much. I didn't have to reEQ the amp it sounded beautiful and I had all of the rich mids and tightness that was there before. I am very happy with the result and the look. The guitar is a fire-breather now.

Comment

Sorry to tripple post but I wanted to get you guys a final picture. I think this is a fairly interesting application of the Black Winters

Comment

I dig it!

But at the same time, I'm torn since a small part of the appeal of the BBW's for me is the look.

The guitar itself looks nice, though!

Comment

I dig the look also. I had them in my blacked-out SG, and they looked and sounded awesome in there. When put the Angry Widows in the SG I bumped the BBWs into the Les Paul. I immediately loved the tone but not the look so much. Not for that guitar, they looked out of place. The interesting thing is the wiring in the Les Paul has a push/pull phase because the WLHs were in it. The Black WInters sound amazing out of phase, there is a high/mid spike, and they thin out a little bit. It is a very useable tone, not shrill in any way. I typically would not put a phase on high-gain pickups like these, but it sounds awesome.

Comment

What guitar is that, BTW? The back isn't bound like a regular Custom (or at least, it looks like that on the pics), and it seems to have a Rosewood board.

Comment

It is a 2017 Custom Lite my girlfriend bought it as an Anniversary gift

Comment

Working...
                              X