banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVH Bridge...for Blues? What do you recommend at the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Bridge...for Blues? What do you recommend at the neck?

New member, learning much. TIA.
    I just bought a gutted Flying V (couldn't pass it up). I'll need to replace all the electronics, but he is including what I suspect/assume is a Frankenstein bridge pickup, marked SH EVH BRIDGE 10YM2 20140922. (I have no idea what the numbers mean, and the "label" guide that used to be here seems to have disappeared.)
    He's also sending a BurstBucker 2, but to be honest that's not my favorite neck pickup. Maybe it's just me, but they sound sort of unmemorable.

Anyway, I play mainly modern blues and southern rock but am pretty flexible on preferred tones. I play for fun so really don't try to sound "like" anyone in particular. I look forward to giving the SH EVH a try, but am looking for input on a complementary, compatible pickup for the neck.

(Just to make it different from my other humbucker-wearing guitars, I've even considered a Noiseless P90, but can't decide if that would be a good idea.)

I also welcome any info/feedback on the SH EVH itself. Much as I love Eddie's work, I have no idea what the pickup is capable of.

Any input is appreciated!

Welcome to the forum

In another thread on the EVH, an article mentioned Ed himself liked a Custom Custom in the neck, which would be almost even with an EVH bridge. (FWIW Ed's signature guitars have a hotter neck than bridge.) A more calibrated neck with a similar profile might be an Alnico 2 Pro, which would be great for blues and southern rock. Some other necks that might work fine for what you're doing and might work with an EVH could be a Seth neck, or Saturday Night Special neck, or a Whole Lotta Humbucker neck maybe.

Comment

For a neck pickup, it really depends on your needs. An Alnico II Pro is a great choice (and pairs well with the Frankie), but it also comes down to what you like out of a neck pickup. The Alnico II Pro is warm and buttery, but if you like something with more high end, a Pearly Gates would be better. Also unknown, is what the body sounds like, or 'needs'. If the wood is really mid-heavy, you wouldn't want a mid-heavy pickup.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        For a neck pickup, it really depends on your needs. An Alnico II Pro is a great choice (and pairs well with the Frankie), but it also comes down to what you like out of a neck pickup. The Alnico II Pro is warm and buttery, but if you like something with more high end, a Pearly Gates would be better. Also unknown, is what the body sounds like, or 'needs'. If the wood is really mid-heavy, you wouldn't want a mid-heavy pickup.
        I think i'd go for Pearly Gates Bridge for the neck
        www.tonejourney.com
        www.instagram.com/tonejournei​

Comment

Working...
        X