SSL5 or SSL6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL5 or SSL6

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 Fender Strat USA deluxe with SCN pickups. It has a 9.5” neck with Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42 strings. I want to change my pickups and have seen a few YouTube reviews on the Seymour Duncans but am unsure what selection would be right. My first question is, which pick-up is correct for my neck profile, the SSL5 or the SSL6? My second question is would the SSL6 (Bridge), SSL2 RWRP (Middle), SSL2 (Neck) work well for a deep throatie tube sound? I think the SD website says something about them slightly modding the bridge pickup if these are run as a set, does that mean I need to ensure I buy these as a set? Thanks

part of that 'vintage' sound is the stronger G and weaker B, so the staggered one is always a choice when aiming at this, in every other cases with modern thinner strings (with plain G) and flatter fretboard radius maybe the flat poles are more even, it depends on taste

Comment

My strat has the 9.5 radius and I use the ssl6 and ssl2. I really like this combo and find the neck pickup, in particular, very throaty. Overall it is a very versatile combo. I didnt buy a set.

Comment

If I have a choice between flat and staggered, I always go flat on modern guitars. It sounds the most balanced to me. So, go with flat.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Flat poles sound more even across the strings than staggered. Unless you want the G string to be stronger than all other strings and the B string to be weaker for some reason, go flat.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

flat pole ssl2/ssl2rw/rp/ssl6 is a great set of pups for a strat. classic neck and middle with a hotter bridge!

Comment

Great feedback folks. Thank you so much. Think the flat ssl2, ssl2rwrp, ssl6 is my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TimGrant View Post
                Great feedback folks. Thank you so much. Think the flat ssl2, ssl2rwrp, ssl6 is my choice.
                Let us know how this project turns out!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X