SD Red Devils...finally installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Red Devils...finally installed.

I grabbed a set of Red Devils from our own ArtieToo and finally got around to installing them a week ago. I am now finally getting around to a brief write-up.

The guitar is a self-made and finished strat body (alder) and a Warmoth all pau ferro unfinished neck. I play mostly through a 5E3 hand-wired clone.

The pickups are MASSIVE sounding. Considering 90% of my guitars are single-coil, I actually had to tweak my amp settings . Very deep bass but it stays pretty tight. As you would expect, they drive an amp on the edge really easily by themselves and interact well with the volume control. I honestly haven't played buckers in quite a while so half of what I might say is probably just describing buckers vs singles. Personally, the sweet spot I've found in my rig is with the amp on the edge. The pickups respond well enough to picking dynamics to be able to get clean notes, just dirty notes, or that nice triad sizzle just by varying my picking. Add in a low-gain OD of choice and a compressor after the OD for leads, and I'm very happy with these pups. The bridge is everything you would expect from a '59 styled lead pickup.

I do not have them wired in series or parallel, despite Artie almost making it a condition of purchase , so as you might expect there isn't (to my ears anyway) really any of the strat quack in the notch positions...but I didn't buy them and wire them straight-up for that purpose.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

I would have pics but i keep getting a 403 error...whatever that is. I also cant edit without a 403 error but im assuming you guys will realize i meant split or parallel.

Comment

You can try the 'upload attachments' button, or use an image hosting site. The 403 error affects some people more than others- for me it is 50/50 that it will work.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

Wow, I love the color scheme of that Strat! And thank you for posting that review! There aren't a ton of people on this forum that have tried that set yet.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. I love that color.

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
              I do not have them wired in series or parallel, despite Artie almost making it a condition of purchase ,
              It was merely a suggestion.

Glad you're lovin' these. That axe is killer. Enjoy.

Comment

I love humbuckers. The red devils are nice.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with my Strat (vintage SSS) and the Red Devils might cure that.

Comment

My strat, which looks like the OP's but with a pearl white pg.

It started as hsh, is now sss with a clapton circuit, and will soon become a humbucker guitar.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20230203-194845.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	6277188 not sure if I'm going full sized or strat rails. These red devils have been on the short list since they came out.

Yeah, I tend to dwell on decisions for a bit, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post

It started as hsh, is now sss with a clapton circuit, and will soon become a humbucker guitar.

ID:	6277188 not sure if I'm going full sized or strat rails. These red devils have been on the short list since they came out.

OT, but I dig that blue one!

Comment

Funny, I used to have a similar-ish spalted maple tele with 59 neck and a QP bridge. I cant actually remember why I got rid of it now tbh. Lovely set of axes there. I love sparkle orange and i used to have the same white pearl guard on it.

Comment

I was close to picking up a red devil bridge for my Am Std strat but found a good deal on a lil 59 and picked that up.

Great to see you back around scottish, and that you're enjoying the new set.

Both of those orange strats look really cool btw.

Comment

Is that warmth candy tangerine?
                            that Tele is awesome BTW.

Comment

Working...
                            X