Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume at 0 on potentiometer

Hello everybody,

I installed a quarter pound in the neck and a jb junior in the bridge of my squier paranormal super-sonic and the fun thing about this guitar is that I can blend the volume of the two pickups on the middle position of the 3 way switch.

My problem is : when I roll back the volume at 0 I still got a sound from the pickups. Exemple: when I'm in first position on the switch I got the quarter pound on and when I roll off the volume I still get a sound from this pickup. Same with position 3 with the jb junior. I soldered the pickup myself following the wiring diagram available at the seymour duncan website.

What can I do to get no sound when I roll off the volume?

On google it says that I could have burned my volume pots. Is it the only thing that I could have done wrong? Is there something about the wiring?

Edit: I also have a single cap treble bleed on both volume pots, could it be the issue ?

Thank you
    Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasP; 04-15-2024, 11:58 AM.

Bad ground. It's the only thing that can cause this symptom.

Squirt some Deoxit in the pot.

Comment

Is wd-40 okay?
      And should I resolder the ground wires on both pickups?

Comment

WD-40 isn't DeOxit. Don't spray that in the pot. It is a good idea to check and re-solder all grounds, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          WD-40 isn't DeOxit. Don't spray that in the pot.
          Yup. That's for rusty door hinges. And stuck lawn mower throttle cables. Use Caig Labs Deoxit.

Comment

Thank you I will double check my grounds on the pot.

Is there a difference between not grounded and badly grounded? Like is it not grounded at all or just barely?

Comment

It's possible to have an intermittent, partial ground with odd effects. Usually just touching joints with a hot iron sets them right.

Comment

Bad grounds will let all kinds of noise come through.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I seriously doubt that the problem you're describing has anything to do with a bad ground, but it's still a good idea to check all the existing grounds and reheat them to make sure they are good.
                  Your problem sounds like it only involves the pots (including possibly the treble bleed mod). It is possible that you damaged the pots when soldering...too much heat for too long of a period of time can damage them. This can easily be done if your soldering iron is not hot enough/high enough wattage and you leave it on the back of the pot trying to melt the solder.
                  A couple good pics of your control cavity showing all the wires and connections will help us considerably in nailing it down.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X