Parly gates vs CS version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parly gates vs CS version?

Is the CS version that much better? Most importantly, does the CS version have a crisper low end/more percussive attack?

There are a couple old threads on here about them. Just search for those.

Comment

Hmmmm...d.o they even make the CS PGs anymore? I scoured the site under custom shop and there are no pearly gates. Is the site just badly scripted or are these no longer available?

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post
        Hmmmm...d.o they even make the CS PGs anymore? I scoured the site under custom shop and there are no pearly gates. Is the site just badly scripted or are these no longer available?
        Pretty sure you can still custom order them.

You can even custom order a set of PG with a crisper low end and more percussive attack if that's what you want.

Comment

I think Ace has a CS PG set. He would know.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok, how about this..has anyone compared the tone of the regular CS PGs to the 2020+ epiphone probucker 1&2? The probuckers get a lot of praise but i', not 100% happy with them but i DO like the basic character, and i do like A2 and low ind which both the PB and PG are. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth it given that the PB get a lot of raves. Yeah, i know.....it's pretty much an impossible question to answer for many reasons, but most p/u recommendations usually are and it can't hurt to ask.
            Last edited by gimmieinfo; 04-17-2024, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Why go to the CS for the Pearlies? Is there something you want that doesn't come standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Why go to the CS for the Pearlies? Is there something you want that doesn't come standard?
                I mainly want to know whether it's worth it to replace the probuckers but i mentioned CS because i figured if they are much better than the standard PG set it would be a lot more likely to be a worthwhile upgrade over the probuckers. I don't want to say what it is i want from them because then i get 100 replies off the subject about pots and pickup height and u name it, and i already know all that.

Comment

I don't mean to downtalk on the Probuckers, but I used to have them in a Les Paul Custom, and the best I could say about them is "they're alright for the money". I'm sure a regular set of non CS Pearlies would be an upgrade.

But if you wanna go Custom Shop, you can ask for whatever you want. I don't see a need to settle for a model they don't even have on their site anymore. You can just tell them "I want a set of Pearlies that's crisper and more percussive", and they'll do it, and it won't cost you more than their old off-the-shelf CS Pearly models.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    I don't mean to downtalk on the Probuckers, but I used to have them in a Les Paul Custom, and the best I could say about them is "they're alright for the money". I'm sure a regular set of non CS Pearlies would be an upgrade.
                    Were they the 2020+ inspired by gibson probuckers? Because i think they were different b4 that and the new ones are supposedly quite good. I actually like them but id like ...well, you know what i said. But if i have to live with them it won't be a problem.

Comment

Were they the 2020+ inspired by gibson probuckers? Because i think they were different b4 that and the new ones are supposedly quite good. I actually like them but id like ...well, you know what i said. But if i have to live with them it won't be a problem.
                      Yep. My Les Paul was from 2021 or 2022 with the new headstock

I don't mean to say they're bad, but I just wasn't a fan. They're supposedly the overseas-made version of the BB 2 and 3, but they weren't as bold, bright, and cutting as the BB's, IIRC. Which I guess some people might actually like, because the BB's can get harsh to some. Personally, if I'm getting vintage output pickups, I kinda want them to be bright and up-front.

But if you like them and don't feel the need to change them, then don't change them just because Pearlies are supposed to be better. If you decide to go Custom Shop, I think it would be better to let them know what you want, and have them build it for you. That way, it will truly be an upgrade.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-17-2024, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I mainly want to know whether it's worth it to replace the probuckers but i mentioned CS because i figured if they are much better than the standard PG set it would be a lot more likely to be a worthwhile upgrade over the probuckers. I don't want to say what it is i want from them because then i get 100 replies off the subject about pots and pickup height and u name it, and i already know all that.
                        Well, I don't know if I could define the CS Pearlies as 'much better' than the production models. They would be the same specs, but made by MJ or Derek or someone in the Custom Shop. They would get more attention, too, but in the end, unless you want something specific, like the whole pickup aged or it is a really really special guitar, I would just get the production pickups which are likely better than anything you can find in most production guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          Yep. My Les Paul was from 2021 or 2022 with the new headstock

I don't mean to say they're bad, but I just wasn't a fan. They're supposedly the overseas-made version of the BB 2 and 3, but they weren't as bold, bright, and cutting as the BB's, IIRC. Which I guess some people might actually like, because the BB's can get harsh to some. Personally, if I'm getting vintage output pickups, I kinda want them to be bright and up-front.

But if you like them and don't feel the need to change them, then don't change them just because Pearlies are supposed to be better. If you decide to go Custom Shop, I think it would be better to let them know what you want, and have them build it for you. That way, it will truly be an upgrade.
                          It's just too much $ to risk. Having them make me a set is still a hit or miss, and it's gonna cost at least double what i can get a used set of regular ones, probably more. As to the PB's, the 2 and 3 are higher output than mine. Mine are probucker 1&2 so my bridge is what you had in the neck and your bridge was hotter than mine buy a good bit. So rather hot which i too dont like. Mine measured about 8.5k and 7.4k if i recall.

Comment

Working...
                          X