banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell if a SD 59 Neck was built reverse phased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tell if a SD 59 Neck was built reverse phased?

I've heard that some guitar manufacturers use SD branded humbuckers, actually i've seen it,. Ibanez i think, where the middle pickup is wired to be reverse phased or polarity (RWRP)
    Would the reverse phase be label or identified on the PU or PU box. I bought a second hand, but new 59 Neck HB. I did bring it up in the "is this a Real Seymour Duncan thread as it had The SD logo on it was isn't that common.
    The reason I ask is I have a JB Bridge and the 59 Neck, bought separately from each other. Hooked up according to the SD wiring diagram for 2 HB, 2 vol, 2 tone push/pull. I noticed the sound get very thin when both HB's were switched on together. Was suggested that I try reversing the phase of one HB as it seemed they were out of phase. It definitely fixed that problem, but I question how it came to be that way. Is it possible my 59 neck was built to be reversed phased? or for something specific.
    Nothing to indicate that on the HB or packaging.
    Thanks

fender, for example, used rp 59n models in a bunch of guitars over the years. not sure if there are distinguishing labels or not

Comment

You can order any pickup reverse-phased, but I don't remember if I've ever seen that indicated on the label. Anyone else?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If your pickups were second hand, it could be that someone changed the magnet and installed magnet backwards. Its easy to check the polarity with a magnetic compass. The magnetic polarity of the screw poles should be the same on the neck and bridge pickups (South UP).

Comment

My '78 Model is reverse phase. There isn't a positive identification of it on the label

The magnet could be backwards if someone mag-swapped one of them.
          Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-16-2024, 11:58 PM.

Comment

"Can you tell if a SD 59 Neck was built reverse phased?"

If you can positively identify which wire is the start of the coil wind and which is the finish, or if you can identify the orientation of the magnet (which pole is north, and does it point to the slug side?) you can determine if it is RWRP.
            But you can effectively change either of those if you want (by reversing how it is wired in the circuit, and by reversing the magnet).

Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Also less likely, but it could have sat too close to a strong magnet, as has happened to me before
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

alternately

you can use an analog multi meter ( digital might work I dont know)
                connect the meter to red/white pair
                do you get a 4-5 k ohm reading? if so good

now take a thick screwdriver and hold it close to the pickup
                pull it straight up, away from the pick up quickly while looking at the meter
                did the ohm reading drop or raise ?

now do the same with the other SD pickup
                red/white on the JB (this could be the one whose magnet got swapped as that is more of a thing than 59s are)
                do you see around 7-8k ohms

does it it add or subtracts as you quickly raise the screw driver?

I would bet that the mag flip happened on the JB
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

FWIW 59s get mag swapped every bit as much as the JB, the Custom and A2P, etc. The common Duncan winds take swaps really well and become different pickups with each magnet type.

Comment

Working...
                  X