Swapping my JB for something else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping my JB for something else

I’ve been tossing around the idea of swapping my JB out for something else. For drop B I think the lows are just way too loose for my liking. I kinda have a love/hate relationship with it. I have a Distortion in another guitar and I dig that I think more than the JB. I also have a spare 59/custom hybrid I could try as well.

Do you all think the 59/custom will work in drop B? From what I remember is that it was pretty neutral as far as tone goes. Nothing really exaggerated so I should get most of the shaping from the amp I believe. Also contemplating a Distortion as well. Never tried a black winter so I don’t know if I want to go that route or not. Leaning towards the 59/C at the moment.

mainly playing rock, metal, but sneaking into reggae, and need to be able to pull some decent cleans as well.

Pegasus, bro. Super tight and not super hot, and more mids than a 59

Comment

Yeah, I agree...Pegasus. Or go for one of the more specific metal pickups like the Omega.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you want neutral, the Black Winter is not your pickup. It has very aggressive mids.

Comment

Nazgul!

Tighter and brighter than the JB.
          Not as fizzy/scratchy than the distortion and better for low tunings than both!

Comment

I may have to look up some tones with the Pegasus, but I've heard ppl mention that it was kinda dark. Some of the videos I've seen are showing this a bit. Maybe not dark, but neutral which is good in my case. I'll admit I'm kinda a classic Duncan line of pickups guy. Posting a sample here. This is my tone with the Distortion and then with the JB. Best tone I could get recently, but I'm always trying to improve it. After hearing a side by side they are pretty similar. I think the Distortion just has a bit more upper cut and is tighter where the JB has a thicker low end and not as much cut.

Also a clip of the JB in Drop B. Just has this scratchy-ness to it though
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Coryd; 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM.

Comment

The Pegasus isn't dark in any way. It does have less high end than the Distortion, however, but it isn't dark.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No, the Pegasus is not dark. It has more true highs and not so many (aggressive) upper mids like the PUs you own.
                I find the Nazgul is closer to the SH-4 and SH-6 than the Pegasus is to any of them, but without their drawbacks for heavy stuff. But it sucks for clean and crunch.

I only have brief experience with the Custom/59 Hybrid, but it has a huge low end, which I wouldn't choose for dropped B, but since you have it already, try it. lowering has dramatic impact on the amount of bass

Comment

What's the specs on the instrument? Loose lows in Drop B could also just be a fault of the scale length and/or the string gauge
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    What's the specs on the instrument? Loose lows in Drop B could also just be a fault of the scale length and/or the string gauge
                    I’m using a Jim Root Tele. Currently it has the JB in the bridge. The Distortion I have is in my John 5 Tele.

string gauge for B is 11-54, sometime I use a 56 for the low B string.

Comment

I could definitely see a JB as having a problem with the bass in that case. If you think the strings could stand to be heavier, that would help your sound too, but I think a Distortion could also nudge you in the right direction. If you want to save money, a ceramic magnet in the JB will bring you really close to a Distortion.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'm dubious the Nazgul would work on a guitar where you feel the JB's low-end is loose.

The Nazgul is got the JB's cutting upper-mid spike, just more modern, and fiercer/more aggressive. But it's also got chunky low mids that don't play well with some guitars (I've found it was too round and fat for my Les Paul, for example).

Comment

why not a common Duncan Custom ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            I'm dubious the Nazgul would work on a guitar where you feel the JB's low-end is loose.

The Nazgul is got the JB's cutting upper-mid spike, just more modern, and fiercer/more aggressive. But it's also got chunky low mids that don't play well with some guitars (I've found it was too round and fat for my Les Paul, for example).
                            I did look up the Nazgul and I think I am going to pass on this one. I do need some cleans too and if this one doesn't do cleans well at all, I gotta pass on it.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                              why not a common Duncan Custom ?
                              I tried this one before, and I think I prefer the Distortion over this one. Something about the mids with the Custom were either missing or just not enough for me.

I think at the moment I am thinking either the:
                              Distortion
                              59/Custom
                              Pegasus
                              Maybe something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X