Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan 78 vs Seymour Duncan 59

Sound wise your opinions

To my ears, the 59 is more scooped, but has more dynamics (less compressed). They are pretty close, though. In the bridge, I like the 78 more for any music with a little bit of gain.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

78 Model sounds like a Pearly Gates with the bass rolled off. It's very thin and bright and clear. It seems to be designed to be able to get a 'starved plate' sound out of a normal Marshall without having to use a Variac.

59 is just a nice all-around Gibson-style humbucker. When I first tried one, I thought, "This should be the factory pickup set on all Gibson Les Pauls." Over time, I didn't like the neck for the same reasons most others don't. An A4 magnet fixed it for me. People say the bridge is scooped but I don't find it that drastically scooped to my ear, but that could be the amps and settings I use also.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        59 is just a nice all-around Gibson-style humbucker. When I first tried one, I thought, "This should be the factory pickup set on all Gibson Les Pauls." Over time, I didn't like the neck for the same reasons most others don't. An A4 magnet fixed it for me. People say the bridge is scooped but I don't find it that drastically scooped to my ear, but that could be the amps and settings I use also.
        For me, the 59 is scooped where it needs to be (low mids) for it to sound vintage, sparkly, and open without sounding weak and tinny. It's my favorite vintage output bridge pickup.

Comment

I tried both I like the 59 better

Comment

Working...
          X