Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 5 vs Alnico 8

How they differ sound wise

It largely depends on the specific pickup, but in general A8 and A5 both have a good amount of bass, A5 has a broad scoop to the mids, A8 has a more narrow boost to the upper mids (ie "clang"), A5 has a lot of high treble, A8 has a moderate amount of high treble. These descriptions are based upon my experience with mostly moderate output pickups.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

So the alnico 5 will have more treble/ brightness

Comment

A5 is viable, A8 sux.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

IMO, Alnico 8 sounds fatter, but not necessarily darker. It has high-end, it's just that it has more lows and low mids to counter it.

IMO, Alnico 5 sounds more Alnico-like, if that makes any sense.

Comment

A8 is just aggressive in a kind of sterile and not that pleasing of a way, like ceramic. It's grittier tho. It has a bunch of lows, low mids, mids, and some highs. It's if you purposely want some raw **** rather than a nice tone.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

My first impression about A8 was "overpowered A2"
              Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." — Frank Zappa

Comment

I've used a lot of A8 mags over the past 10-15 years and I think you've all mentioned some of the same characteristics that I've noticed...except Clint. It doesn't sound in the LEAST bit like a ceramic and it certainly doesn't sound "sterile" AT ALL!!

A8 sounds fatter, more powerful, less of a scoop than A5. It has some of the A2 quality in it (meaning that it sounds soft as compared to "gritty"). Soft, but it still has a good bright high end, just not as piercing as an A5.

I pretty much agree with the statement that it sounds "like an A5 on steroids". Like the difference between a Custom 5 and a Custom 8 pup.

An A8 has a lot of character...not sterile or brittle sounding and the highs are not that saw-blade-sharp-piercing and painful ready-to-go-out-of-control-at-any-moment attack of a ceramic.

If I have an A5 pup that sounds pretty good but just needs a bit more output and body to it, an A8 is the answer.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X