overheating a magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating a magnet?

I got done swapping a cover on pickup yesterday, and when I tested it, it was noticeably weaker than it had been before. After thinking about it for a while, I realized I had got the back plate pretty darn hot because was trying to remove some of the solder from it, that had kinda leaked over near where the magnet is, due to some sloppy soldering on my part. Which means I probably got the magnet pretty hot too.

Can this cause it to become weaker, dropping the output? I found some generic info about this online, but I couldn't find anything specific to guitar pickup magnets. Just trying to mentally trouble shoot this a bit before I open it up again. Any info is helpful, thanks guys.

Yes it can

https://usmagnetix.com/are-magnets-a...0magnet%20move.
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      Doh! That's what I feared.

Ok, I'll get the mag replaced then asap. Thanks!

Comment

And learn some better soldering techniques. And/or get a higher wattage iron.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

yes. a higher wattage iron helps a lot. more heat for a shorter period of time is almost always what you want.

you could get a pair of rare earth magnets to recharge the alnico bar magnet you have

Comment

That's what I have

A pack of Neodymium magnets are cheap on Amazon

I glued Mine to the faces of a vise so I can pass the magnets between them

But a single neo would work

Pa'ss one side the flip both over and do the south side
            EHD

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, now that I know about the heat thing, I’ll definitely sharpen up my soldering game.

I read a little bit about this mag recharging thing. I do have a whole box of extra mags, of various types. Heat issues aside, I know I haven’t been storing them correctly either. I took them out last out and quickly tested them just by trying to lift up metal objects. The strengths definitely varied. For instance, some A2s seemed quite strong while others were noticeably weaker, etc.

I found some neo mag bars on Amazon that come with double sided tape. I guess I could tape 2 of them down someplace, on alternate sides. And then pass a mag over them, flipping it for each. Would that work?

Also, I notice a common complaint in the reviews was brittleness. Seems they break easily. Has this been a problem for any of you?
              Last edited by Supernautilus; 05-04-2024, 02:04 PM.

Comment

This is why I got a cheap vise from Amazon
                glued/taped to opposite faces
                I could adjust the two magnets closer or further depending on what I was passing through
                EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  This is why I got a cheap vise from Amazon
                  glued/taped to opposite faces
                  I could adjust the two magnets closer or further depending on what I was passing through
                  Is that necessary for the process to be most effective? Your previous post suggested I could just do one side at a time. Is it better to both sides at the same time?
                  Last edited by Supernautilus; 05-04-2024, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Naw but it is easier
                    EHD

Comment

Working...
                    X