banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I disconnect a circuit using an input jack switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I disconnect a circuit using an input jack switch?

I want to get one of these. When you plug in a 1/4", it turns the switch on.

However, I want the opposite effect. When plugged in, and the plug closes that circuit, I want it to break another circuit (disconnect another wire).

If the switch was always on until you plugged in (which turned it off), that is the behavior I am looking for. Maybe if they made the opposite of this switch?

If I cant find the opposite of this in a switch, is it possible to use a relay or other device in a passive circuit to disconnect a wire when you plug in?

This is for a non guitar wiring project, but you guys know your stuff.

First of all, that link is to an 1/8" jack not a 1/4".
    Secondly, I think you're talking about the output jack not an input jack.
    Thirdly, what "jack switch" are you talking about? That's not a switch, it is technically just a jack.
    Fourth, that jack IS closed until you plug something in...the lead is normally closed/shorted to the ground until a plug is inserted which opens that connection between lead and ground.

I'm not sure exactly what you want. Sounds like you want a stereo jack. Depending on how you wire it, when you plug in a normal plug the ground and second (stereo) lead are connected. If you plug in a stereo plug you open that connection and have a separate/second/stereo lead.

However, if you want a jack which closes one circuit while opening another at the same time, I'm at a loss. That would require a "switch".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

After looking at that link a bit closer, it looks like the lead is not connected to the ground but to an isolated tab which could be used for anything...connected to the lead when unplugged, disconnected when a plug is inserted.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Stereo jack
        the shaft of the jack makes the positive connection

EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
        X