Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Thomson Fishman Fluence sigs

These are new!

Not sure about the tone they dialed in for the vid. The mids sound... weird. Off. Like almost phasey.

But I've always been curious about his Duncans, even if I'm not big into his band, and I bet these sound great too.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-08-2024, 11:26 AM.

My only thing with these fluence is how will they be in 25-50 years? And I'm a weirdo in where I like that each one of my pickups is a little unique.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
      My only thing with these fluence is how will they be in 25-50 years? And I'm a weirdo in where I like that each one of my pickups is a little unique.
      Their technology is analog, so it's not like they'll become "obsolete" like a POD 1.0 or an AxeFX 1 or whatever. So it's kinda like the Lace Sensor stuff or their Alumitone stuff.

I get the "unique" factor of pickups... but at the same time, maybe I've had bad luck, but I've had a couple of Duncans that have somehow been "off". I'd rather not buy a Duncan online, have to wait until it gets here, and realize something is a tiny tiny bit off about it. I'm a weirdo in that sense, personally.

Comment

Fair. I've had similar luck with Motor City. Not all Black Belts sound remotely similar imho lol. I'm more or less curious how their build method holds up over time.
        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I think the coils are on PCBs sealed up inside the case, right? Aside from damage to the pins, I'd put money on them being durable, especially when compared to all the ways a passive pickup can get damaged.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Yeah. Just know some PCBs can become conductive over time. Honesly just a random intrusive thought. The main reason I don't use more Fluence is I don't want to like them and have to buy them for all my guitars lol.

Comment

Yeah. Just know some PCBs can become conductive over time. Honesly just a random intrusive thought. The main reason I don't use more Fluence is I don't want to like them and have to buy them for all my guitars lol.
              I was super dubious at first because of the hype. I didn't want to like them either. But I gave them a try, and I was surprised.

Honestly, I don't have them in any of my guitars right now, but if you like EMG's, I feel the Moderns do the EMG thing, only better (tighter, clearer, and more cutting) with a bunch other options thrown in there.

I love the Classics as well. It's like a '59/'59 set if you want it to be, only clearer and slightly hotter without sacrificing high-end detail. And then you can toggle a mode that's like a clearer, hotter, more balanced JB.

Both sets are kind of idealized versions of the pickups they're based on. Really cool if you ask me. And the KSE and Will Adler sets are also fantastic.

That being said, I've kinda moved on since I'm on a high output passive ceramic kick lately.

My biggest gripe with Fishman is that like 80% of their lineup are just artist sigs. It would be cool if they came up with models like the EMG Hot 70's or stuff that has the Fishman spin on an iconic sound like the DiMarzio Super Distortion, Duncan Seth Lover, Gibson 498T, PRS HFS, etc., or different stuff like that rather than necessarily artist associated stuff. And if they are passing out sigs, I'd like to see either an At the Gates, Sylosis, or As I Lay Dying sig set, although I doubt it would happen.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-11-2024, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I like the Fluff bridge and classic neck in my son's Jackson. I don't ever use the "active mode" on the bridge though lol. I've wanted to try some more. I really like the split tones and how quiet they are. And the ability to tailor the bass respose and all with the little clip in things. Clever pickups.

They seem to sound like a clean up version of a JB in a sense. But sometimes I want that extra 'hair'.

Comment

Those coils are indeed 'printed' on a circuitboard and then stacked together.

I honestly don't care for Fluences. I've tried them all. I prefer even the pegasus/sentient set over these. Which is, honestly, a kick-ass set.

Comment

Just know some PCBs can become conductive over time.
                    I don't think its PCB's that become conductive. But a huge problem in vintage audio is that the glue they used to tack big capacitors, and some other components down, does become conductive with age. That crap all has to be cleaned up when doing a repair/restore.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                      Those coils are indeed 'printed' on a circuitboard and then stacked together.

I honestly don't care for Fluences. I've tried them all. I prefer even the pegasus/sentient set over these. Which is, honestly, a kick-ass set.
                      I'm the other way around, LOL. I haven't tried a Fluence I didn't like. But I'm not really interested in either the Polyphia or the Javier Reyes set or the single coils, but the KSE's, the Adlers, the Classics, and the Moderns have all been stellar to me.

Then again, I wished they did something with a truly blistering high-output passive ceramic voicing. Even the Adler which is based on the Distortion is pretty tame, I feel, compared to a Black Winter or a 500T or an actual Distortion. Not that it makes it worse, though. It's still a stellar pickup. But it's not like the market doesn't have enough variety in the blistering high output passive ceramic department to have to hope for a Fluence emulation of one, honestly.

Just my opinion, of course.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-14-2024, 12:53 PM.

Comment

If I could get one that sounded like my Wagner Ironman on voice 1, and then a good PAF on voice 2... yes please

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          But I've always been curious about his Duncans, even if I'm not big into his band,.
                          I will attest that his Duncan's are amazing!
                          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Here's a song I put together with the EMTY pickups, if anyone wants a sound sample... I don't claim to be good or know anything. Just a sound sample.

Tuned Drop B. 2 Epiphone explorers were used
                            An EHX East River drive is the only thing in the signal path.
                            The guitar tracks were not post processed at all.

Marshall JVM and Celestion k100 if I remember correctly.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                              Here's a song I put together with the EMTY pickups, if anyone wants a sound sample... I don't claim to be good or know anything. Just a sound sample.

Tuned Drop B. 2 Epiphone explorers were used
                              An EHX East River drive is the only thing in the signal path.
                              The guitar tracks were not post processed at all.

Marshall JVM and Celestion k100 if I remember correctly.

The chuggs sound great!

Comment

Working...
                              X