A3 roughcast vs polished ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3 roughcast vs polished ?

I thought i asked this already but i forgot about it and can't find it. So sorry if i already did, but i have a set of PAF style humbuckers that i swapped A3 bars into and like it much better. But i also have a set of roughcast i haven't tried and wonder if someone can tell me if these would compromise the low end which is my main issue with this LP. The A3 polished bars helped clear the lows up and i don't want to reverse that. Will that be what happens if i put the roughcast bars in?

IME roughcast has more noticeable effect on the top end. It seems to soften the pickup over all and give it "complex texture" as some say. Hard to describe in words, but polished is clear and tight, rough softens the edges a bit.

Comment

i agree with that in general. rough is cloudier than polished, but similar all around

Comment

I'll impudently paste a bit of my previous answer:

Regarding polished vs RC, magnetism is often more consistent and more even with polished bars but the look of a magnet doesn't suffice to predict a tone: it depends on the specs involved, varying themselves with several factors (foundry where a mag comes from, how and when it has been charged, and so on; A3 bars from vintage P90's, for instance, are not really like A3 currently sold by online suppliers ).
        I'm not saying there's no difference. Just that texture alone is not predictive of a defined tonal change IME and therefore IMHO. FWIW. YMMV.

Now, the idea that RC is sonically softer matches the idea that RC often goes with a less consistent and less even magnetism. RC texture may also create random gaps between magnet and other parts or develop more easily some superficial insulating oxydation, interacting randomly with the behaviour of the magnetic circuit...

More considerations about that from another pickup winder, in the 53th post of the thread below:

I prefer the A2 magnet, although I do like a A4 and A5 in certain instances. I still have the A2's I got from you James. Waiting for the right set of pickups to put them in. As always, thanks for the very informative thread James. You rock brother!

Last edited by freefrog; 05-13-2024, 10:59 PM.
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

It's a subtle enough difference that it would be really easy to convince yourself it was all in your head
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Yes, it is a very subtle difference between RC and Polished...but it IS there, like Beau said.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X