No announcement yet.

Pickup for a Kramer Baretta.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mahogany and 80s? I would try a Super D in that bad boy. I always think of JB, Distortion, and Super D as the holy trinity of 80s bridge pickups.

I'd also try a PATB-1 in there, because it seems to sit in a cool space somewhere between the JB and C5, but maybe that's a little outside the box for what you're looking for. And I'm not sure how the "poles" would line up on a Baretta. But it's a great sound that cuts while still being warm.
    Last edited by Mononoaware; 05-16-2024, 09:30 AM.

Comment

i agree, jb, sd, and distortion are what i think of when i think 80s tone

Comment

Originally posted by pkailas View Post

What is the difference between the antiquity JB and the regular JB, except for the relicing and price?
        The Antiquity sounds like a 45 year old pickup, being slightly demagnetized. To my ears, it translates to having slightly less high end.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Before we change out the JB - are you playing in the bedroom, or in a band/mix. JB can be notoriously ice-picky in mahogany and on it's own. Try it in the mix before you hate on it.

Next, before we lose the JB, I'm gonna suggest trying a mag swap to an A8 or an A2. Super easy, and cheap. Either will do what you want, just warmer/rounder/Evener etc. A8 keeps the hotness in better.

Then, after that, I'll suggest a Custom Custom. That's EVH circa 1984 style. Works great with a Floyd.

Then I might go to a Super Distortion...

After that...you are on your own.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

JB would have been stock, but never seen a real Beretta with a Mahogany body. Agree on the Antiquities JB being the right vintage fit though.
            However, I keep thinking a Dimarzio Gravity Storm bridge would be very interesting in that guitar.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with the Custom Shop Frankenstein, Frankenstein Plus, or the Frankenstein Custom Shop? Yes, the Custom Shop has three different listings of Frankenstein pickups. I've tried the "tone samples" they have on the website, but I'm not convinced they have any value. Each one is the same riff! I don't know anyone that is that consistent!

I could use their 21-day trial and spend months trying out pickups.

Perhaps I'll try the magnet switch for the Kramer Baretta Special and decide what to put in the new build later. It'll be a few months before I'm ready to assemble it. I need to paint it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Before we change out the JB - are you playing in the bedroom, or in a band/mix. JB can be notoriously ice-picky in mahogany and on it's own. Try it in the mix before you hate on it.

Next, before we lose the JB, I'm gonna suggest trying a mag swap to an A8 or an A2. Super easy, and cheap. Either will do what you want, just warmer/rounder/Evener etc. A8 keeps the hotness in better.

Then, after that, I'll suggest a Custom Custom. That's EVH circa 1984 style. Works great with a Floyd.

Then I might go to a Super Distortion...

After that...you are on your own.
                Instead of A8 or A2, try UOA5.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDemanic View Post

Instead of A8 or A2, try UOA5.
                  Also not a bad idea. Wouldn't be my first choice, but that's me. For a buck-twenty-eight or so, why not?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                  X