banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alnico II Pro Humbucker - Using bridge pickup in neck position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico II Pro Humbucker - Using bridge pickup in neck position?

I have an Alnico II Pro bridge humbucker leftover from a previous guitar and would like to upgrade the neck pickup in my Ibanez George Benson, LGB-30...an archtop guitar.
    The current pickup is the Super 58 CUSTOM which is the cheaper pickup that Ibanez offers....NOT the coveted Super 58 from the '70s.

I have zero funds to buy a new pickup and the specs for the Alnico II Pro are:

Resistance

Bridge: 8.40K

Neck: 7.5K

The magnets and other specs are the same.

How much difference would this matter? Is the bridge in neck going to be muddy sounding?
    Anyone with actual experience in this type of swap?

Thanks for any input!

Carl

Guitars: 2010 Fender Am./Mex. Stratocaster - Duncan Alnico II Pro (N,M) - Duncan SSL-6 (Bridge)
    1980 Gibson LP Std. - Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary humbuckers.
    1990 Fender Am. Std. Tele - Duncan Quarter Pounders
    Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Wild Card - Duncan Classic Stack (N,M) - DiMarzio Mo'Joe (Bridge)
    1982 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Supreme - : Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary(N), Duncan Custom(B)
    Amps: Mesa Mark V, Rivera Fandango, Marshall 1965 JTM-45, Modded Valve Juniors

This is a common substitute that might even be preferred if you have a hotter bridge pickup. I say, if you have it, try it before you end up buying anything.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi Carl, as you mentioned probably a bit muddy in the neck. If you the humbucker has a 4 conductor cable you could also wire it in parallel.
      BTW Did you ever change pickups in an archtop guitar?
      Last edited by hamerfan; 05-17-2024, 01:44 PM.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        Hi Carl, as you mentioned probably a bit muddy in the neck. If you the humbucker has a 4 conductor cable you could also wire it in parallel.
        BTW Did you ever change pickups in an archtop guitar?
        Hi, hamerfan,

The rear pickup is stock. I have changed out pickups in an archtop, but I cheat. I simply cut the wire in the middle leaving the original connections at the pot(s).
        I attach the new pickup half-way and then wrap in electrical tape.

My only concern is that I believe the parallel wiring would produce more highs.

I could try the standard humbucker mode first using the same strings to see how it sounds

Thanks, Mincer and hamerfan, for the input!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	90
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	6280075
        Guitars: 2010 Fender Am./Mex. Stratocaster - Duncan Alnico II Pro (N,M) - Duncan SSL-6 (Bridge)
        Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Wild Card - Duncan Classic Stack (N,M) - DiMarzio Mo'Joe (Bridge)
        1982 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Supreme - : Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary(N), Duncan Custom(B)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          This is a common substitute that might even be preferred if you have a hotter bridge pickup. I say, if you have it, try it before you end up buying anything.
          Yes, I agree. Thanks, Mincer!

Comment

If it's muddy lower it a bit
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think it will be fine.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I have a Jazz bridge, neck spot in my Strat,sounds incredible!

Comment

With Ibz HB's, muddiness often comes from covers IME: they aren't magnetically transparent. So it might be interesting to try the PU without cover or with a better one.

An A2 pro B in neck position of a Gibson scale GT is something that I've already mounted. It worked and sounded nice but was a bit bassier than a Seth Lover, for instance and FWIW.
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I've replaced a neck pup by a bridge model MANY times when I wanted a slightly fuller sound and a tiny bit more output. I've never heard it get muddy when I used APH-1, Jazz, Screamin Demon, or 59 bridge models in the neck. If it was a bit too hot, I just lowered the pup.

I don't think you're going to have a problem. But like I said, if it's too loud or full, just lower the pup. If it turns out that it's not too loud but a bit too full for your taste, just lower the pup and raise the screws (you could even replace the screws with higher carbon steel screws, like 1022, to brighten it up).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X