Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATB hybrid

Orpheo, BachToRock etc
    Simple question...can anyone please describe what a PATB-1B/3B hybrid sounds like?

Anyone tried it?

That's like asking has anyone smelled a unicorn fart

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        That's like asking has anyone smelled a unicorn fart
        why would it be any different than a horse fart???

OP: sounds like a great idea!

Comment

I can't recall if anyone has actually done one.
          The PATB-1b seems to be the Parallel Axis take on a Custom 5 [hotter, but with extended treble due to coil architecture, higher inductance, lower string pull, and softer attack that is extremely responsive to pick articulation]. Not precise, no confirmation from Seymour Duncan, and the wind may not be identical, but it is 15.7K of 43AWG, and a lot of people have noticed resemblances to various models of the Custom.

PATB-3b is the Parallel Axis inspired by the '59 Bridge.

So a hybrid of the two ought to be similar to a Parallel Axis version of the '59 Custom Hybrid. Can't know for certain without trying it, of course.

IIRC, someone did and liked a PATB-1b/PATB-2b hybrid, for a tangential factoid.

Comment

Funny enough, I have tried it. it is okay. The PATB1 is hotter than the #3, so the #3 is just there for the ride to cancel the noise, so what you end up with in this case is a bit of a nasal sound, a bit singlecoily vibe. Like Dimarzio's bluesbucker if I dare say so. It doesn't give you that medium hot grind of the '59Custom hybrid.

the 1/2 hybrid, on the other hand, is intense. it is hot, it sizzles, it is a lot. I loved it for years, but I am moving towards low output pickups nowadays so I seem to have lost my appetite for it.

Comment

Despair,
              to my ears the 1B has way more mids and is way higher output than any of the custom variants.

Thanks orpheo,
              I guess it doesn't achieve a mix the 3B's sweet highs and lows and lower output with the 1B's higher output and strong mids?

I was hoping for something to tame down the output of the PATB-1B and I thought it might be an option.

Comment

Working...
              X