Mini Humbucker VS. Firebird pick up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Humbucker VS. Firebird pick up.

Hope someone can put some much needed light on this topic.
    It is my understanding that they are two different beasts.
    Almost like a Jazzmaster pick up is not a P90, kinda thing.
    They do look extremely similar.
    Is there a construction difference under the cover (... between the Mini Hum & Firebird unit.)
    And more importantly, what is the tonal difference between these two ?
    Thanks to all.
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Tldr: a mini hum is built like a normal sized one - ferrous poles (one row adjustable) with an alnico bar underneath; a Firebird pu has alnico bars set in the bobbins themselves, a steel reflector plate underneath and a small one on top which would fall under the B string. There were some variations over the years (e.g. Firebird pups in the 70s and 80s are different to 60s ones), but those are the fundamental differences in their respective construction.

The mini hum first appeared in Epiphones and Silvertones (those were made by Gibson for Silvertone), and only in the 70s did it feature in a Gibson guitar, the LP Deluxe. The Fb pups were designed specifically for the guitar.

More detailed breakdown here: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/fi...ibsons.270442/ .

Since both are smaller and sense a narrower string path, they will be brighter than a normal hb. The Firebird pu itself is brighter than a mini hum, due to its construction and generally lower dcr (I'm talking about 60s examples here). Some people find that the bridge position in old Firebirds is too thin/bright sounding because of this. The old minis, since they were made out of the same materials as PAFs (plain enamel wire, short alnico mag), are said to sound quite similar, with more top/bite.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

What fellow member said.

Let's add that FB mini's have a stronger magnetism, a lower inductance and a pointier resonant frequency than mini-HB's...

... and that mini-HB's actually make harmonics less prominent than full-sized ones. It counteracts the brightnening effect of a narrower magnetic window. So mini-HB's are not THAT bright, unlike FB ones.

That said, it's doable to mimic a mini-HB with a FB pickup, by lowering the tone pot. The contrary is not that easy: it requires a dummy coil with defined values in parallel with the pickup.

FWIW (I've both kinds of pickups at disposal here and I apply the strategies evoked above).
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

^^ Have you tried Fb pups with 250k pots? Have heard this can be beneficial if they're a bit waspy.

From what I understand, the 70s mini hums were different again - they were using poly wire by then and also had a weaker wind than early 60s ones? Listening to the Who in that time, for instance, Townshend's sound was quite wiry (yes, a Hiwatt is very transient/brilliant sounding amp). Of course, his best tone was Rickenbacker/Bassman and SG/Hiwatt .
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Generally the firebird pickups are considerably brighter. They are typically very clear with strong dynamics.

There can be a really big variation between the mini humbuckers. They are normally higher output than firebird pickups. Some of them can be almost as dark as a full size humbucker. There are also some that can be bright and articulate. Some mini humbuckers I’ve tried made me feel they were similar to firebird pickups, but that is not typical. If you want mini humbuckers like that you will definitely need to seek them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
            ^^ Have you tried Fb pups with 250k pots? Have heard this can be beneficial if they're a bit waspy.

From what I understand, the 70s mini hums were different again - they were using poly wire by then and also had a weaker wind than early 60s ones? Listening to the Who in that time, for instance, Townshend's sound was quite wiry (yes, a Hiwatt is very transient/brilliant sounding amp). Of course, his best tone was Rickenbacker/Bassman and SG/Hiwatt .
            Not tried 250k pots since 500k pots with tone lowered give me a similar response. Maybe I would mount a 250k volume control if I was abundantly using my volume with FB/mini-hum PUs but it's not the case.

Agreed about Townshend and about differences between mini-hum generations... I've even an Epi model here whose coil have obviously been overwound with AWG43. It has more inductance than a T-Top and sounds largely like a full sized HB. :-)

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Also worth noting that P90s, mini hums, and firebird pickups all will fit in the same route, however they usually mount differently
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Firebird pickups sound brighter. You can get something very similar to the sound of a minihum by knocking back the tone on a firebird pickup. I really like firebird pickups - minihums sometimes sound muddy.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

All the technicalities are covered well..

From an experience perspective, a firebird neck acts a lot like a hum free single coil. Good fast attack. Clear and clean are kind of a combination of a strat and a p90. When crunched they can really bite and cut through a mix with more body than a SC.

Mini falls exactly in between a regular humbucker and a firebird.. as mentioned before it's a bit brighter seeing less of the strings, but it's got a slower attack then a firebird.. much more like a regular humbucker.

One of the best comparisons is on a telecaster.. If you use a mini, you can still get a very traditional center mix... Especially if you parallel the mini to itself. So it remains a telecaster in positions one and two and then all the sudden you got umph in position three.

With the firebird everything is bright.. Great for chicken picking cutting through kind of tones.

24 and 3/4 with mahogany definitely tames the firebird a bit but the mini will still fall in the middle.

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

i use an antiquity ii fb neck pup in my tele, paired with a tele bridge pup and i think its wonderful. 250k pots

i really like minis too but in a fender neck position, i tend to prefer the fb pup. probably due to the attack and narrower res peak, which is similar to a strat or tele pup

Comment

GREAT INFO.
                      Thanks to all thus far . . . keep 'em coming !

Comment

Got a firebird PU in the neck of a tele too.
                        In a blind test i would mistake it for a single coil.
                        I like it very much!

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                          Got a firebird PU in the neck of a tele too.
                          In a blind test i would mistake it for a single coil.
                          I like it very much!
                          A good Firebird style pickup sounds like a big, noiseless single coil to me. They are my favorite tele neck pickup, too.

Comment

This is where my SM1 lives. Along with the A5 Phat Cat in the bridge, it's a nice combo.

I have to say that the SM1 is not quite as bright as I was led to believe though. I have 2x 500K pots in this guitar and it's just about right. Maybe it's just this guitar, but I wouldn't want it any darker than it is now. The SM1 is nice and juicy. It's got bite but also some thickness to it. It's a particular sound, that's for sure.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post
                              This is where my SM1 lives. Along with the A5 Phat Cat in the bridge, it's a nice combo.

I have to say that the SM1 is not quite as bright as I was led to believe though. I have 2x 500K pots in this guitar and it's just about right. Maybe it's just this guitar, but I wouldn't want it any darker than it is now. The SM1 is nice and juicy. It's got bite but also some thickness to it. It's a particular sound, that's for sure.

​​
                              W O W . . . very, very nice !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X