Question about SD Mini Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SD Mini Humbuckers

I just bought an Epi Firebird, you see, which has Epi ProBucker FB720 pickups, which were supposedly created just for the Firebird, built like the original Gibson Firebird pickups with two bar magnets and no pole pieces.

There'snothing wrong with the Epi FB720s as such, but they have those darned push-fit connectors that I detest. The pickup wires are too short to remove those connectors, and solder the wires directly to the pots. It would be a right royal pain trying to solder on replacements, as the terminals are buried under soldered-on backplate.

So. The question is, are the SD mini humbuckers built like real Firebird pickups with two bar magnets and no pole pieces, or are they really just smaller versions of full size humbuckers?

The SM-1 is built like a FB pickup.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

correct, the sm1 is built like a traditional fb pup. the sm2 and sm3 are not built like a traditional fb pup. the have blades for pole pieces and use a single bar magnet. cool pups for sure though.

the antiquity fb and mini humbuckers are true to the style of vintage construction, i think both are fantastic by the way

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!

The Firebird arrived earlier this week and the set of SM-1s should arrive by Friday.

I'm planning on a complete re-do, reversible if I ever so choose, with the SM-1s, new CTS pots and small orange drops (nothing wrong with either as fitted, but easier to keep those as supplied and use new ones), a genuine Switchcraft switch and one of those dual contact output sockets. I was thinking about using all braided wire, but I don't think I'll bother, using cloth covered wire instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	132936B.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6280534

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Working...
          X