Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here! Looking to switch my pickups from Active to Passive

Newbie Here! Looking to switch my pickups from Active to Passive

I have an old Alvarez Dana Electric and I plan to remove the 2 stock Active pick-ups (1 Humbucker-Bridge, 1 Single-Middel) and replace them with 2 Passive Seymour Duncan pickups.

I picked out the BRANDON ELLIS SIGNATURE DYAD PARALLEL AXIS™ HUMBUCKER and YJM Fury Strat for the middle pickup. This guitar does not have a neck pickup.

QUESTION: Does it matter whether I choose the 250k or 500K potentiometer to replace my current ones?

This is my first time replacing pickups on my own.

Welcome to the forum. Nothing will explode or sound horrible either way. If you lean toward darker tones go with the 250 or 300 if you like brighter tones the 500 is the way to go. However, even if you like a dark tone a 500K will not prevent you from dialing that sound in. I have a 1 MEG pot in my Iceman with a Dimebucker and I have a very low bass-driven tone. Don't overthink it, play with it, and if there is something you don't like, you can change it out in a short time for short money.

Comment

I'd love to hear how this project turns out...and post pics!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very interesting guitar.

What kind of sounds are you looking for and what rig is it going through?
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm looking for that Yngwie meets DimeBag sound. I'm currently waiting on Warmoth to finish the new neck for my Alvarez as well. I have them building me a new neck, based of the same specs of Fender YJMs, minus the nitro finish!!! I love the feel of an unfinished neck. I can't wait to hear the sustain and vibrato out of that Dana Alvarez with a new scalloped neck along with the scoop. For those not famliliar with the Dana Scoop, the cutout is meant for increased sustain NOT increase finger reach.

Comment

Working...
          X