measuring magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• measuring magnets

I picked up a Gauss meter so I could start measuring the stacks of bar magnets I have collected. Along with some neodymium magnets so I could recharge any weak ones. But I'm new to this and I'm still learning what a bar magnet "should" typically read.

I found a website that listed the following ranges:

A2: 530-590g
    A3: 470-490g
    A4: 630-670g
    A5: 710-770g
    A8: 1200-1320g
    ceramic: 1250-1300g

For those with knowledge of this stuff, does this seem accurate? Any better resources you can share for this info? Also, do you have any tips on measuring bar magnets to get consistent readings? Again, I'm just new to this stuff and trying to learn. Thanks very much.

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post
    I found a website that listed the following ranges:

A2: 530-590g
    A3: 470-490g
    A4: 630-670g
    A5: 710-770g
    A8: 1200-1320g
    ceramic: 1250-1300g

For those with knowledge of this stuff, does this seem accurate?
    The proportions and order are accurate to me: A3<A2<A4<A5<A8<Ceramic= typical scale.

The values may vary according to the meter used + its calibration and to how a magnet is measured: put the probe of your gaussmeter above the poles of a humbucker then directly on a magnet (but on different spots) and you should see what I mean. ;-)

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

The proportions and order are accurate to me: A3<A2<A4<A5<A8<Ceramic= typical scale.

The values may vary according to the meter used + its calibration and to how a magnet is measured: put the probe of your gaussmeter above the poles of a humbucker then directly on a magnet (but on different spots) and you should see what I mean. ;-)
      Thanks, Frog. Well, what I've been doing so far is using the peak hold function and them touching the probe along the edge and end of the bar until I get the highest reading that registers. At least that gets me a common technique to use among all the bars. I'm not sure if that's the best way. But it seems to be working so far so I guess I'll stick with it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

It also vary from one side of a bar magnet to other especially on alnicos. I discovered that when i got my gaussmeter at first. I measured the gauss on pole piece tops and i got very different values like 350G on b string screw, 400G on hi-e string screw. Then i did a line measurement and see the variances.

As far as i see ceramics, Neodymiums are more precise from one side to another.
        www.tonejourney.com
        www.instagram.com/tonejournei​

Comment

Originally posted by nienturi View Post

It also vary from one side of a bar magnet to other especially on alnicos. I discovered that when i got my gaussmeter at first. I measured the gauss on pole piece tops and i got very different values like 350G on b string screw, 400G on hi-e string screw. Then i did a line measurement and see the variances.

As far as i see ceramics, Neodymiums are more precise from one side to another.
          Absolutely. That's why I've evoked measurements "on different spots" of a magnet (and the reason why my archives mention averaged values rather than max measurements). :-)

That said, the worst that I've measured were some rubber magnets in old DeArmond pickups: one was almost totally demagnetized on one end...

Side note - even with an evenly gaussed bar, the magnetic field may vary according to the strings, because of how the whole magnetic circuit shapes the magnetic field:

Guitar building, tips, tricks and how to. Links to useful sites for the luthier and hobby guitar builder.

FWIW. :-)
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
          X