banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I simply didn't like neck humbuckers…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Hot Take: People who want a Jazz, or especially a Demon or Full Shred, in the neck don't like neck pickups. They really want to use the bridge with the tone turned down a touch.
    In my case you are absolutely right. Are people using the Demon in the neck? I thought that only existed as a decently-powered bridge humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

In my case you are absolutely right. Are people using the Demon in the neck? I thought that only existed as a decently-powered bridge humbucker.
      Absolutely.

It's EQ is tilted towards less bass and more treble, IMO, more so than the PG. Fantastic cut through heavy distortion though. But - at 10k and with a lot of highs, with a pretty tight bass, people dig it in the neck too!, especially with sportier bridge pups, or very muddy neck.

Allen screws don't hurt to cut the flab either.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Just put Jazz B in neck spot for my custom strat just built,its awesome sounding!
        Little more beef and really full sounding.
        Used to use 59n,close but was always bassy sounding,jazz has more treble.
        Have custom shop Jazz made for bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mononoaware View Post
          I hear ya; I've almost entirely given up on neck pickups. It's a really hard position to balance on most of my guitars.

JazzN and 59n always come so close to working for me in most situations, but seem to be missing a little beef. Love the 59b in the neck, though, so something tells me the JazzB might also work.
          Have you tried a Jazz b in the neck? If you feel the Jazz n is missing s little beef, that might just be the ticket. Or perhaps a screamin Demon? Don't let the name scare you, it's probably my favorite neck pup (also love the Jazz b, and Pearly).
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hot Take: People who want a Jazz, or especially a Demon or Full Shred, in the neck don't like neck pickups. They really want to use the bridge with the tone turned down a touch.
            I think that could be true a lot of times.But I find that the neck doesn't necessarily sound like a bridge with the tone (trebble) turned down, but rather it has a fuller tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I think that could be true a lot of times.But I find that the neck doesn't necessarily sound like a bridge with the tone (trebble) turned down, but rather it has a fuller tone.
              Agree. That's part of why I don't try to match Bridge/neck usually. They just "don't" so I go Balls-out power bucker in the bridge for rock, and a classic PAF style in the neck. Usually, but not always. Different pickup[s for a diverse guitar vs a "two sounds" for one style deal.

Comment

Agree. I very rarely try to "match" bridge and neck pups. What's the point. Two pups are for two different sounds not two of the same. I also find that when I have two very different sounding pups, I get some really good combination sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I've been wanting to give that one a try for a while. What is it like?
                  So the bridge sounds like a drier Custom Custom. The neck is very dark with regards to higher treble such as "air" and "sparkle" but has enough high mids to where it doesn't sound like there's a blanket over the amp. A lot of low mids, but no boominess or woofiness to it.

It's very good for clean jazzier sounds, or higher gain Slash style leads.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'm a Duncan Jazz fan. I snagged up one of the 35th anniversary Jazz neck and it rocks.
                    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      See, I thought I hated bridge pickups. I just had to find those I liked.
                      Your distaste for bridge pickups is well known around (and in no way do I seek to challenge your right to opine thus). Which ones have you found that work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

Your distaste for bridge pickups is well known around (and in no way do I seek to challenge your right to opine thus). Which ones have you found that work for you?
                        I love the Custom Custom, and the Hybrid. I've come to use bridge pickups a little more, but nowhere near the amount I use neck pickups.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pretty much spot on for me. I don't solo a lot, so the FS neck is perfect for a slightly fuller version of my bridge tone. I used to dial my bridge pickup in so fat that anything would be mud in the neck. I've moved slightly beyond that point in recent years

Comment

xHH would catch on a lot more in the "no neck" crowd if we had a generational guitar player who tried it
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              xHH would catch on a lot more in the "no neck" crowd if we had a generational guitar player who tried it
                              What I love about the HH combo of a HHH guitar - the Middle/Bridge combo for rhythm

Comment

Screamin' Demon in the neck is a great setup with same in the bridge or hotter. Ran dual Sceamin' Demons for a long time in one guitar.
                                The APH-1, PGn, '57 Classic are probably my top PAF class neck options.
                                The Suhr SSVn that's in my Goldtop sounds great. Still evaluating it with the SSH+ in the bridge but so far, so good. If I change 'em out, a set of PGs it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X