SD Humbucker with the most low end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Humbucker with the most low end?

Hey folks, looking to upgrade the pups in my Squier Affinity HH Strat and I want to know which SD humbucker offers the biggest low end. The EQ charts on the site aren’t helpful and no way I can find to compare them. Thanks!

There are a few with lots of low end but they are different. Some can have a tight low end and others have Big lows but they sound muddy to me.
    And what do you want with the top and mids? They all come in a package deal.

Invader has a big low end but the whole thing is flubby/muddy to my ears. The only way I can enjoy that pup is wired parallel.
    Alt 8 has a good solid low end with lots of mids to match and a strong high end but not bright by any means. Nothing like the Invader.

So really, what are you looking for? And what type of music you want to play with it?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I play heavily distorted shoe gaze. Looking for a pup that is dark, thick, warm, crunchy, etc, with a big low end. Don’t want too much high end where it’s piercing.

Comment

Tone Zone bridge, Bluesbucker neck. The TZ is dark and thick. The BB is a P90 sound, not dark, but it compliments the TZ well.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Maybe the Slug for ultimate sludgy darkness.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Drainyoo View Post
            I play heavily distorted shoe gaze. Looking for a pup that is dark, thick, warm, crunchy, etc, with a big low end. Don’t want too much high end where it’s piercing.
            Actually, I think the Invader was made for this stuff.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Second the Invader. You can also back that one away from the strings a lot more than most others if you're looking for crunch and clarity. There is a sweet spot.

Bare Knuckle Warpig with a ceramic magnet would also be great for this kind of sound.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                Maybe the Slug for ultimate sludgy darkness.
                I was thinking the Slug too, but I didn't have enough experience with it to bring it up
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Just to throw another option, the X2N is also pretty dark and bassy. It's been ages since I've tried the Invader, but I think the X2N is along those lines too.

Comment

Originally posted by Drainyoo View Post
                    Hey folks, looking to upgrade the pups in my Squier Affinity HH Strat !
                    If you put an Invader in there you pretty much have a Tom DeLonge Stratocaster, a proven workhorse, and a great sounding guitar. Another vote for the Invader.

Comment

invader would be my first choice

Comment

People here have also done various experiments with the Invader and reported - iirc changing out the big cap nuts to something smaller can alter the low end, so it might be a good option in case of necessary tweakage.

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        I was thinking the Slug too, but I didn't have enough experience with it to bring it up
                        It certainly looks the part! If it's too dark, maybe like a 1meg volume would balance it out a bit.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Actually, I think the Invader was made for this stuff.
                          That's what I was thinking
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yep, Invader
                            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Duncan Custom gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X