Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes exactly

Comment

Contact the Duncan Custom shop and ask what difference is between the new classic and the 78, (besides 8.2 vs 9K of course). Looks like you can order the Duncan classic configured how you want it (covered / uncovered, trem / std, 4 / single conductor, leg length, etc.)

The EVH classic 8,2k is black, std, and 4 conductor only.

Funny how both companies introduce the classic and the plus at the same time with exactly the same specs. At least with the SD custom shop versions, you can configure it however you want.

Comment

I did,I called Chris at Seymour Duncan he explained to me that the EVH Frankenstein Classic and the EVH Frankenstein plus were ok’d by Eddie but never used them before his death he wanted players to have versatility.The difference between the EVH Frankenstein classic is just a plain PAF pickup the Duncan 78 which is alittle hotter(9k)is what Seymour(supposedly)did for Eddie in 1978 to have his Gibson PAF rewound.
        Last edited by pittbull; 06-10-2024, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          if you have an Alnico 2 humbucker in a Strat going into a Marshall style amp, you will practically find yourself tripping over it.
          I agree. I will say a blashemy: A normal Alnico Pro II bridge is right on the ballpark, same for a PG....

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Did EVH actually use hotter pickups later on?
            The pickup in Frankie later was 16k. Basically a CC. It was the paf wound version earlier on

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

The pickup in Frankie later was 16k. Basically a CC. It was the paf wound version earlier on
              I never chased or studied his tone, so I am curious why his taste in pickups changed drastically. The Custom Custom sounds and feels nothing like a 78 to me.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I never chased or studied his tone, so I am curious why his taste in pickups changed drastically. The Custom Custom sounds and feels nothing like a 78 to me.
                I think pickups and necks changed along with his amps. At some point he was using Peavey, then his own brand, etc. So without the original Marshal/Variac setup, he would probably need to change other elements to balance and get the same sound he wanted; or the next sound he was chasing.

Comment

Why does anyone change? I change stuff all the time. I suspect that the Destroyer had a distortion style pickup in its so I don't think its as big a change as many think it is. I suspect the Floyd could have had something to do with it but I hear it change on Fair Warning to my ear.
                  Last edited by Bill Dennis; 06-18-2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I think pickups and necks changed along with his amps. At some point he was using Peavey, then his own brand, etc. So without the original Marshal/Variac setup, he would probably need to change other elements to balance and get the same sound he wanted; or the next sound he was chasing.
                    The pickup changed happened long before Peavey was a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

The pickup changed happened long before Peavey was a thing.
                      That's not exactly what I meant. I meant most changes in general necessitated a pickup change or amp change (like tubes, settings, setup, or amp itself) to balance. So changing a neck, changes the sound, need to change something else to balance the sound.

Comment

Working...
                      X