Wiring Assistance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Assistance...

I've bought some single coil-sized humbuckers for a guitar and I'm trying to see how the wiring would work for the following positions...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	39
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	6282468

... while keeping a tone control for only the neck and middle pickups (1 vol / 2 tone).

Can anybody tell me what's going on in the following diagram...

Views:	60
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	6282469

... and if anything, and if so, what needs to change?

I swear I had this stuff down, but it's been so long.

(I trust that the pickups themselves won't matter? They're not SD, but it's still humbucker wiring.)

That wiring is exactly what you want. The wiring you want is the same as standard strat wiring. If the guitar you are installing them in is already wired like a standard strat, there is very little work you will have to do
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The wiring codes might matter, Not all companies use the same color codes. So what brand are the other pickups?
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
        Can anybody tell me what's going on in the following diagram...

... and if anything, and if so, what needs to change?
        Um, that doesn't look like standard strat wiring. They've bridged both tone controls to be both always on for positions 5-2. That'll darken things up. I'd move the middle pickup tone to the middle lug and the neck pickup tone to the position 5 lug.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          The wiring codes might matter, Not all companies use the same color codes. So what brand are the other pickups?
          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for FLEOR SSS Guitar Set of Dual Rails -Dual Rails Humbucker Pickups fit ST Guitar at the best online prices at eBay!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
            Hadnt heard of those before so I did a quick google search and turned up this

New version colors code: the black wire for signal (hot wire); green& bare wires for ground; white & red wires together for coil split (series cable).

On that page is states the wiring codes have changed and how to check if you have old or new ones.

On the same page diagram number 13 is the one you want. Good luck!
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Um, that doesn't look like standard strat wiring. They've bridged both tone controls to be both always on for positions 5-2. That'll darken things up. I'd move the middle pickup tone to the middle lug and the neck pickup tone to the position 5 lug.
              It seems to follow this diagram and others I've found that match it when searching 'standard stratocaster wiring diagram'.

Views:	23
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	6282576

Also, are 500k pots still the norm for humbuckers when single coil-sized?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Hadnt heard of those before so I did a quick google search and turned up this

New version colors code: the black wire for signal (hot wire); green& bare wires for ground; white & red wires together for coil split (series cable).

On that page is states the wiring codes have changed and how to check if you have old or new ones.

On the same page diagram number 13 is the one you want. Good luck!
                It seems they've changed theirs to match SD pickups completely. I hope they don't eventually change the price, too.

Comment

Working...
                X