Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pick up wired

Hi

I have Jackson Warrior WRXT MIJ 2007 on basswood with Jackson 580 bridge with Duncan Design Detonator HB108 b/n.
    I want change bridge pick with DiMarzio Super Distorzion.
    I dont know which is best connect and wired.
    I want bright chrisp harsh sparkly sound not bassy and muddy.

Well I really dont know what is best opnion
    How I know paralel is quiet and series is more bassy so booth is not what I need.
    I dont know how is only bridge is it better than b+n and how must connect him.

Realy dont know how guitarist like
    George Lynch, Waren D Martini or EVH have wired pick ups.I cant find in web.

​What is your experience. Which way would be best for me. What do you think.
    Thank you very much

kind regards

Well, the Super Distortion should go right in, with no other modifications. A crisp, sparkly sound can be found from many pickups, though. The 2 coils of each pickup should be wired in series (it isn't bassy, and you will have the most power), and the bridge and neck humbuckers will be wired in parallel with each other- this is likely how your guitar is already wired. So all you have to do is replace one pickup while keeping everything else the same.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Apsolutly nice of You what want to help and quick replay kind regards

Comment

if you get it in and it doesnt sound right

come back and let us know

we may be able to help sort out the problem
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Hi Sorry I dont know what you mean.
          I dont want that.I ask how I can best wired my pick up paralele or series.Regards

Comment

Also, you will have to look at the insert with the pickup you buy to figure out what color goes where. I remember there are 4 colors (I only remember Seymour Duncan), but the 4 colors are different for every company. One wire goes to the switch, one wire to the back of the pot (either one, it is a ground point) and 2 wires are connected, soldered and taped off out of the way so they don't touch anything. I am sure someone will come on here and let you know what color goes where.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

sdelac2, I've already answered to your question by PM about parallel / series but I don't even know if you've read it, since you have not reacted to my reply.

AFAIK, the guitarists that you mention had most probably their humbuckers wired "normally", IOW in series.

... but series or parallel wiring can't be considered separately when one knows how much passive pickups depend on external factors... A DiMarzio Super Distortion in series shouldn't sound the same at all through 60' of coily cable or through 10 inches plugged in a wireless system, for instance (this comment coming from someone who has a Super Dist in a Super Strat, BTW).

If your guitar has a Floyd Rose style trem, a high output pickup like a Super Dist shouldn't make it sound muddy once paired with standard 500k pots and a standard guitar cable, that said. And if it's not bright enough, it's always possible to mount higher resistance pots, or to pull off the tone control like EVH, or to use a no load tone, and/or to play through some lower capacitance cable (non limitative list: plugging through a pedal with an input impedance higher than 1M would also brighten the tone, for example). There are many roads to Rome...​

Last but not least: to me, amps and cabs are really not indifferent when it comes to sound like Lynch / De Martini / EVH... It would be more difficult for me to approximate the tone in "Lay It Down" if I hadn't a cab with EVM12L, for example.

FWIW. As with my PM, HTH.
              Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

As mentioned
                cables length matters

A 20 ft cord robs the highs off
                More than a 6 ft cord

I love a 20ft cable

But it does sound different than even a cheap wireless unit
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by sdelac2 View Post
                  Hi

I have Jackson Warrior WRXT MIJ 2007 on basswood with Jackson 580 bridge with Duncan Design Detonator HB108 b/n.
                  I want change bridge pick with DiMarzio Super Distorzion.
                  I dont know which is best connect and wired.
                  I want bright chrisp harsh sparkly sound not bassy and muddy.

Well I really dont know what is best opnion
                  How I know paralel is quiet and series is more bassy so booth is not what I need.
                  I dont know how is only bridge is it better than b+n and how must connect him.

Realy dont know how guitarist like
                  George Lynch, Waren D Martini or EVH have wired pick ups.I cant find in web.

​What is your experience. Which way would be best for me. What do you think.
                  Thank you very much

kind regards

First, going from Duncan Detonator to Super Distortion I don't believe is tilting in the direction of brighter and crisper. Going to an actual Duncan Distortion, or Full Shred (I have direct experience with those two), or perhaps Pegasus, Dimebucker or other bright high output Duncans would be moving in the brighter/crisper direction.

Second, there's two kind of parallel/series
                  1. Two pickups in parallel or series
                  2. Two coils of the same humbucker in parallel or series
                  It's not clear which you mean, though because you mention the middle position sound, I believe you might mean two pickups in parallel or series. Most all 2+ pickup guitars are wired with all pickups in parallel and for good reason. All pickups in series is just loud mud, usually.

Third, none of the guitarists you cited typically used neck pickups, so they had no middle position sound to be wired.

Comment

For some reason, I can't respond to your DM.

The Super Distortion is not the same as the Super2 you mentioned in your previous message to me. I don't have experience with the Super2. I believe that is DiMarzio's neck model that matches the Super Distortion bridge? I've read the Super2 brighter to compensate for the neck position, and it would probably make a great bridge model if you really want to brighten things up.

If you put any DiMarzio in the bridge of your Warrior, but leave the Duncan Detonator in the neck, you probably will need to flip the phase of the DiMarzio, because DiMarzio's are out of phase compared to Duncans. (For example, I put a DiMarzio Custom with DIMarzio Injector middle and 54 Pro neck and had to swap the hot and ground wires on the DiMarzio pickups so that I didn't have thin out of phase sounds when the Duncan was mixed with the DMZs.)

Comment

the super2 has a touch less output than the super distortion, but much brighter tone

Comment

Yep, the Super2 is a "light" Super Dist for neck position, apparently wound with 42 AWG instead of 43. DCR = 8.7k, officially. Inductance around 5.5H while the 13.8k Super Dist clocks around 6.6H...

That said, a "Dual Sound" (4-conductors Super Dist) was mounted in the neck slot of my Aria PE500 in 1981, with a coil splitting switch, and it sounded fine to me, along with a X2N bridge... :-P
                        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          For some reason, I can't respond to your DM (403 errors).

The Super Distortion is not the same as the Super2 you mentioned in your previous message to me. I don't have experience with the Super2. I believe that is DiMarzio's neck model that matches the Super Distortion bridge? I've read the Super2 brighter to compensate for the neck position, and it would probably make a great bridge model if you really want to brighten things up.

If you put any DiMarzio in the bridge of your Warrior, but leave the Duncan Detonator in the neck, you probably will need to flip the phase of the DiMarzio, because DiMarzio's are out of phase compared to Duncans. (For example, I put a DiMarzio Custom with DIMarzio Injector middle and 54 Pro neck and had to swap the hot and ground wires on the DiMarzio pickups so that I didn't have thin out of phase sounds when the Duncan was mixed with the DMZs.)
                          Can't correct my own post because of the 403 error. I put a Duncan Custom with DiMarzio singles and had to flip the hot/ground on the DMZs.

Comment

I thought you were getting a Super 2 for your Warrior?

The Super Distortion is not a dark pickup, though. Not sure how it would compare to a Detonator, but it does have some of that signature DiMarzio rasp to the high-end, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                            X