banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD Custom Shop "Nagus" humbucker (Axe Palace) - any info or opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Custom Shop "Nagus" humbucker (Axe Palace) - any info or opinions?

Axe Palace is a guitar shop in Massachusetts that carries some higher-end pickups (I have no affiliation with them). I came across this "Nagus" pickup on their site recently. From what I gather, they wanted their own boutique offering, so they designed it by prototyping ideas through the SD custom shop, and now they're going to be keeping it on hand as an exclusive. The ones on the site are MJ-wound, hot ceramics. They're marketing it as a best-of-all-worlds metal pickup. I'm not sure it would be my cup of tea but wanted to see if anyone has real-world experience with it yet.

Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Sounds like some kind of Pegasus/Nazgul hybrid possibly?
    Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
    Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
      Sounds like some kind of Pegasus/Nazgul hybrid possibly?
      That's what I thought too. Although I do get the Star Trek reference because I'm a TNG/DS9 dork. They wouldn't say, but the sales guy said it had more bite than the Pegasus and more of an open sound than the Nazgul.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Hear all, trust nothing. - 190th rule of acquisition
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

14k and ceramic sounds like a cool pup, dont have a place for that hot pink 6 string model though

Comment

I think we will start seeing this type of 'exclusive' Custom Shop offering from other retailers, too. I know Reverb has its own exclusive offerings (like the Stormbringer set and others).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In todays episode we are trying out the new pickup designed by and for AXE PALACE! A store dedicated mostly for custom shop and other high-end gear! AXE PALA...

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Unless you talk to either someone who owns one, Axe Palace, or SD themselves, it might be hard to compare them to pickups you are familiar with until (and if) they get more widely known.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

That's what I thought too. Although I do get the Star Trek reference because I'm a TNG/DS9 dork. They wouldn't say, but the sales guy said it had more bite than the Pegasus and more of an open sound than the Nazgul.
                  As an aside, if you're a Trek-fan, you'll love this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1693048724387.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	6283093

There is very light etch on the pickup covers. Plus the inlay of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	377928797_297901126195784_7237119339068661080_n.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	6283094
                  This is the prototype cover of a set I had made. I have two sets, for two (more) guitars, and two MORE sets with gold covers and just the emblem etched, for two more guitars. Six Star Trek guitars in total.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

As an aside, if you're a Trek-fan, you'll love this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1693048724387.jpg Views:	4 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	6283093

There is very light etch on the pickup covers. Plus the inlay of course.

Click image for larger version  Name:	377928797_297901126195784_7237119339068661080_n.jpg Views:	4 Size:	81.4 KB ID:	6283094
                    This is the prototype cover of a set I had made. I have two sets, for two (more) guitars, and two MORE sets with gold covers and just the emblem etched, for two more guitars. Six Star Trek guitars in total.
                    You're right, I DO love them! Especially the flame maple one on the left. Beautiful work.
                    Take it to the limit
                    Everybody to the limit
                    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

You're right, I DO love them! Especially the flame maple one on the left. Beautiful work.

Mind you, the backs are cut from the same billet as the top, also carved, without backplates. The maple (and walnut) tops&backs are sandwiching a layer of Spanish Cedar and spruce, respectively, with a matching neck. I loved making these. I can't wait to show the other two I'm working on. The last 2 are still in rough parts, and I guess it'll take until 2026 before those are finished.

Comment

Working...
                      X