Full Shred in an alder body / maple neck guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred in an alder body / maple neck guitar

I've got my eye on a Charvel with this pickup / body combo, but I'm worried it will be too bright for the metal I want to use it for.

The guitar also has direct-mount pickups, which means, if I understand correctly, that I can't play with the pickup height on either side, though I can adjust the individual heights as normal. Would direct mount be a dealbreaker for you? Why or why not?

I like direct mount. You can use foam or springs to get each side the way you want it. On my Warmoth with direct mount pickups, I installed brass inserts and use machine screws...and regular pickup springs, so I adjust as normal. I like the look without rings, anyway.

As far as it being bright...remember, pickups are part of a system...and you might not know until you hear it through your rig.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I like direct mount. You can use foam or springs to get each side the way you want it. On my Warmoth with direct mount pickups, I installed brass inserts and use machine screws...and regular pickup springs, so I adjust as normal. I like the look without rings, anyway.

As far as it being bright...remember, pickups are part of a system...and you might not know until you hear it through your rig.
      I appreciate this, thanks. Would it be harder to install a new pickup if for some reason I didn't like the Full Shred?

Comment

I am not sure how they mounted the pickups in the Charvel- my guess is wood screws and foam underneath, but that's just a guess. I can't imagine it would be that hard to figure out- there simply isn't many ways to do it.

Comment

All right, I pulled the trigger on the Charvel. It shipped today. Hope to get it soon!

Comment

Very cool! Let us know how it turns out (and post some pics when it shows up).

Comment

the fs is a very cool pup! but if your chops suck, it will show your slop. look forward to the review once it arrives!

Comment

I am not sure how they mounted the pickups in the Charvel- my guess is wood screws and foam underneath, but that's just a guess.
                Yes, that's how it's done. Much easier to handle than the bloody rings.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                  Yes, that's how it's done. Much easier to handle than the bloody rings.
                  It does look better to me, that's for sure.

Comment

It does look better to me, that's for sure.
                    Yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                      I've got my eye on a Charvel with this pickup / body combo, but I'm worried it will be too bright for the metal I want to use it for.

The guitar also has direct-mount pickups, which means, if I understand correctly, that I can't play with the pickup height on either side, though I can adjust the individual heights as normal. Would direct mount be a dealbreaker for you? Why or why not?
                      Sounds like a DK24. It's a brighter guitar to be sure but an amp eq tweak is all it needs to be fine. I flip mine to parallel for clean to get more top end
                      Last edited by Bill Dennis; Yesterday, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

Sounds like a DK24. It's a brighter guitar to be sure but an amp is all it needs to be fine. I flip mine to parallel for clean to get more top end
                        'Tis indeed a DK24. Thanks for the tip on cleans.

Comment

It came!

Comment

Working...
                          X