Introducing Phat Cat Silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Phat Cat Silencers

Now we're talking! If they sound like regular Phat Cats but balance the output, that would be the quintessential PAF sound. Needed this silent version for a while. Phat Cats almost ended my tone chase, but buzz was the only reason I didn't keep 'em.

With our Phat Cat Silencer pickups, you can enjoy P90 tone without the noise and without major guitar surgery!

I just saw these myself. I think they will be pretty successful. I dig the Phat Cats as they are, but hate hum of any kind.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yup. Single coil hum is so 20th century.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Haha, I get why people still put up with single coil noise, though I think some of those people aren't sensitive enough to that frequency, so it isn't a big deal to them. The others just really hear a difference and nothing but the real thing will do. I am more practical- many places I play are um, questionably wired.

Comment

Ceramic though? Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post
            Ceramic though? Hmm...
            Choice to consider in the design as a whole, IMHO...

Any passive noiseless pickup involves a noise cancelling coil altering the properties of the signal coil and has to deal with its side effects, including most often a drop in output and noticeably increased eddy currents. The choice of a ceramic bar makes sense in this context: not only ferrite is more powerful than alNi(Co) alloys and can compensate the loss due to an higher resistance and/or to a dummy coil, but it's not electrically conductive and has a low magnetic permeability, so it doesn't favor eddy currents.

At least that's how I understand and explain it. YMMV.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Yeah, in instances where the design is non-traditional, you can't go by the magnets alone- you have to consider the whole design. If they thought ceramic was the best here, I'd believe them unless there is an issue.

Comment

I wonder if they are going to sound like the JJN Silencers...kind of that P-90 tone and punch but with an upper mid push like a JB. That's really the only thing (tonewise) that I don't like about the Silencers, they sound too much like a JB, which I have never liked. But they ARE dead quiet.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Now we're talking! If they sound like regular Phat Cats but balance the output, that would be the quintessential PAF sound. Needed this silent version for a while. Phat Cats almost ended my tone chase, but buzz was the only reason I didn't keep 'em.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...lencer-pickups
                  Why would I want PAF tone from a P90?

Comment

I'm interested. The neck sounds great clean.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

Why would I want PAF tone from a P90?
                      I didn't want PAF tone from a P-90. I wanted PAF tone and happened to try the Phat Cats and that's what they happened to sound like.

Comment

I thought the OG Phat Cats were perfect. If anything, I would've made both slightly hotter.

I actually thought they were less noisy than most other single coils with the cover.

I know y'all don't like noise gates, but... I mean... it helps. Sometimes. Maybe?

Comment

Don't like the guy playing the demo. Something wrong with his neck.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            Don't like the guy playing the demo. Something wrong with his neck.
                            He twirls his head around in the weirdest way lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              I wonder if they are going to sound like the JJN Silencers...
                              I was wondering the same thing. But I love that they've produced these.

Comment

Working...
                              X