X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That black looks great!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hawt. Glad you like them. If I ever go vintage output again, I'l probably go for '59's too.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Update, as requested by Mincer

Last night I installed the '59s in the Goldtop. I much prefer them over the Suhrs they replaced (SSH+ bridge, SSV neck). I love that open airy sound of the bridge. Just enough bite on the top without going overboard. A nice full sound. The neck is sweet. Got the height adjusted to where I like it. The lows are there but not crazy boomy (EQ on the amp helps too with that). The low E will boom some if I really hit it hard but eh, I call it authoritive display of power. Otherwise it's fine. The middle position is really usable with these. Really good response. Yup, these make this guitar sound how it's supposed to.
        THAT's why the first time I tried 59s I thought they should be the stock pickups in all Gibsons.

Comment

Update, as requested by Mincer

Last night I installed the '59s in the Goldtop. I much prefer them over the Suhrs they replaced (SSH+ bridge, SSV neck). I love that open airy sound of the bridge. Just enough bite on the top without going overboard. A nice full sound. The neck is sweet. Got the height adjusted to where I like it. The lows are there but not crazy boomy (EQ on the amp helps too with that). The low E will boom some if I really hit it hard but eh, I call it authoritive display of power. Otherwise it's fine. The middle position is really usable with these. Really good response. Yup, these make this guitar sound how it's supposed to.
          Love it. For all the pickups out there, 59s and SSL5s are my go-to every time. They just work so so well.
          Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Yeah, I figured you'd like it. The 59s have this reputation of being plain vanilla, but really, they can be remarkable pickups if you are playing more traditional music up to about hard rock.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Glad they're everything you'd hoped. It's really a great set IMO.
              I feel their slight scoop is exactly right for the natural voicing of most LPs.

I gigged Les Pauls loaded with '59s for thousands of shows through the 80s & 90s.
              For my taste, the 59N gives a beautiful neck lead tone when set fairly low in the ring.

IMO neck-pickup boominess is really only a problem in certain LPs with unusually big and deep low end, which some do. But IME most don't.
              I've owned close to 50 LPs over the decades and only two of them had a sound that I'd consider boomy. (I left the stock T-tops in those.)
              I could also see the 59N being muddy for high gain players - it isn't surprising that would call for something with more restrained low-lows.
              But overall I feel the SH-1N's reputation for being boomy in LPs is undeserved, and due only to a few unusual cases.

As mentioned, both 59s take mag swaps famously well. A4 in a 59N tightens it up nicely and still sounds/feels/behaves pretty vintagey.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Yeah, I figured you'd like it. The 59s have this reputation of being plain vanilla, but really, they can be remarkable pickups if you are playing more traditional music up to about hard rock.
                That's the thing. They're more versatile like that. I got mine because Bill Steer from Carcass was using them at the time. They pull off Death Metal perfectly.

Comment

The more I play with them in this guitar, the more I like them. I lowered the neck pickup a turn and half and it's still plenty responsive, a little clearer. Works for me.
                  The Suhr SSH+ is just too hot for what I like. I really tried to make it work for what I need but in the end, it's not the right one. The SSV is nice but could use a little more on the top end. A great sounding pickup though.
                  Seymour Duncans are like home to me.
                  Last edited by ErikH; Yesterday, 09:01 PM.

Comment

The more I play with the in this guitar, the more I like them. I lowered the neck pickup a turn and half and it's still plenty response, a little clearer. Works for me.
                    The Suhr SSH+ is just too hot for what I like. I really tried to make it work for what I need but in the end, it's not the right one. The SSV is nice but could use a little more on the top end. A great sounding pickup though.
                    Seymour Duncans are like home to me.
                    I always wondered about the SSH+. What is it like? I've always wanted to find a JB that has a less rolled off top-end and less laid-back attack. Is the SSH+ like that?

Comment

i always end up setting my lp neck pups about level with the ring these days. i used to crank things up much closer to the strings but i find the tone better with it lower, especially on the neck pup

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

WLH is like an improved 59 set. Louder, more even, smoother top end.
                        That's the last thing I want from a 59!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          i always end up setting my lp neck pups about level with the ring these days. i used to crank things up much closer to the strings but i find the tone better with it lower, especially on the neck pup
                          This is the way.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            I always wondered about the SSH+. What is it like? I've always wanted to find a JB that has a less rolled off top-end and less laid-back attack. Is the SSH+ like that?
                            It's pretty hot. Has good cut and a pretty solid feel. It's been a long time since I used a JB.

These pickups offer the warmth of a vintage humbucker with increased clarity and definition and range in output from vintage to hot.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              The middle of the pickup sits about level with the ring. The edges obviously don't with the ring being curved.

Comment

Working...
                              X