Amp Questions/Comments/Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Questions/Comments/Input

I am going to buy an amp in the upcoming month or so...I have had my eye on a few but I need a second or third or fourth opinion:

I have been looking at the Fender Deluxe 90 DSP
    and the Marshall MG100DFX
    both are appealing to me, but what i want is the BEST clean tone. i dont care about built-in effects or anything like that (i have a Boss DS-1, a Boss MD-2, a Boss MT-2, a Digitech Metal Master and a Dunlop Cry-Baby). i just want the best tone possible that would help put my point across with the Seymour Duncan Distortion humbucker and Ibanez RG350DX i'm getting
    as of right now i have a little dinky Crate 15 watt practice amp and i'm tired of it's sound of a huge guy holding two pieces of paper and farting into them :fing25: that's what it sounds like when i play :fing25:
    somebody please help me out
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Re: Amp Questions/Comments/Input

What's your budget?
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I've got a Fender Princeton 65 (no DSP) and a Marshall MG50 (no DFX) and in my opinion, the Fender has the Marshall beat hands down on just about everything. The cleans are more "shimmery" and brighter, clearer, etc. The Marshall has a lot thicker tone. The distortion channel on the Marshall is (to my ears) horrible. I never use it (actually I just use that amp as a second power amp to run the Fender through) Also, I'm pretty sure the speaker in the Marshall (and not to say the Fender's is phenomenal... I don't know) is pretty bad. Of course this is all my opinion, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's one vote for the Fender anyway

Comment

You may do better talkin' to the guys the guitar shop. welcome to the forum dd
        This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
        Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
        Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
        Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

This thread belongs in the Guitar Shop!

We need a budget, pls. Stay away from the MG Marshalls, they are crap.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I started out using a Crate 15W! Loved it, until I heard a *real* amp. Then I realized it really did sound like a fuzz fart.

Of course everyone's tastes are different, but I've found that Fender's solid-state amps leave a lot to be desired. Their tube amps, on the other hand, are the standard by which almost all other amps are measured (Marshalls being the other standard). I think that Fender's Hot Rod Deville/Deluxe amps have an awesome clean tone and are very responsive to your picking dynamics. I find their dirty channel to be a bit muddy, but since you're using pedals that's not an issue. I own an Ampeg Reverberocket and you may also want to check that one out- really nice sparkly clean tone, but it doesn't do as well with single coils as the Fender does. As far as costs go, you can pick up used models of these for a pretty reasonable price.

Warning: More unsolicited advice following... I'm not sure what you're going to be using it for, but I think that a 60W tube combo is plenty loud for anything I've needed to do and sometimes I wish I had a lesser wattage amp so I could push it harder. I found the Deville (60W I think, 4x10) was so loud I never had to turn it past 2 or 3.
            Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
            Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
            Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
            http://emayhem.com/the_fords
            (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

If you want a cheap good clean sounding SS amp, look into Randall. Can't go wrong for the price. And I'm not even kidding.

Comment

I know, I should have posted this in the guitar shop, but I figured more people looked in here anyways. Plus, the people who look in the pickup lounge are smart and know what the hell they're talking about
                :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

Working...
                X