Calling Kent S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Kent S.

hey, I was wondering if you would/could help me out w/ a little bit of wiring troubles. You said that I would like the HPF/LPF TBX tone control mod. Well, I found the stock Fender resistor, can this still work w/ the mod? And would it sound "ok" (many other variables, but you catch my drift) to use the TBX w/ the neck and mid, and the other tone controll for the bridge?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: Calling Kent S.

Well, the stock TBX tends to work a little better with the neck/middle in my opinion, as that's where the extra glassiness can be used. Plus how much brighter does one really need the bridge pup? Although some people do find a use for it there, personal call. But yeah the TBX with the n/m and a regular or some other tone control for the birdge would definitvely be a useful combo to have on one guitar.
    As far as ... can you use the resistor with the HPF/LPF mod? ...
    Err ...Yeah you could, there is no reason to, unless you like having the pups loaded down like the stock TBX does. The HPF/LPF doesn't work along the same lines as the stock TBX, on the stock TBX the only thing you are doing to make the guitar brighter is reducing the load on the pups (**which was put there by the TBX control to begin with** the way fender wired it stock that is), on the mod that you are referring to what you are doing is actually cutting the bass. The effect is of course enhanced if you have pups with a good strong low end and solid low mid to mids, as if you have thin pups on the bass end, there isn't much to take away ... you will also get a drop in volume as the lower fundmentals are cut (so much of what we hear is in that range anyway), but this can be used as a type of rhythm/lead gain control ...bright and clean, to fat and dirty. Clean with a compressor to regulate the levels you get everything from dark and throaty to super icy.
    If you are going to use the resistor inconjunction with the HPF/LPF mod then you might want to opt for the recommened value in the mod labeled Doc's mod.
    For use with singles you may want to increase the LPF cap from .01uF to .022uF, you can always try it with the .01uF and then if it's not enough cut for you add another .01uF in parallel with it (to get .02uF), and just keep adding value in parallel until you get what you want (not to hard since parallel caps add together in their values, and Radio Shack sells you at least two caps per pack when you buy any value), again depending on how much hi cut you want. The values shown in my mod were for humbuckers so doubling or close to it should work for singles the HPF side you should probably try as is first as shifting the turnover point of the filter doen't effect it's attenuation level (ie you've only got 1Meg of resistance to play with), but you can solder another cap in parallel to lower it's turnover Fc and reduce it's overall effect (or just don't turn to knob all the bloody way up). If you want to load the system you can certainly do that, just by putting the resistor in the same place it was in the stock tbx, then if you don't like it, change it, or clip it out. PM me if you have any other questions, as I do check PMs on a regular basis at least. Later.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

BTW, you can always swap the control around to either pup to see what you prefer in usage, there is certainly nothing wrong with having a TBX style control on the bridge.

Comment

Thanks Kent, just what I needed to know.. Where'd you learn how to do all this stuff? I just copied and pasted what you said so that I can hopefully learn it.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
          Thanks Kent, just what I needed to know.. Where'd you learn how to do all this stuff? I just copied and pasted what you said so that I can hopefully learn it.
          About ten different electronics texts that had similar material, but weren't the real nuts and bolts electro-physics of *why, and how*, A two year electronics course would be a good place to start ... however some good reference texts for various reasons would be ...
          The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Manual { HL00500964 } ,
          Sound Check (The Basics of Sound and Sound Systems) {HL00330118 },
          The Complete Guide To Giuitar and Amp Maintenance { HL00330117 } ,
          It ain't complete JSYKIYDA ...
          The Master Handbook Of Acoustics ... F.Alton Everest ..TAB Books
          Mc-Graw Hill Inc.
          Introductory Circuit Anaysis ... Robert L. Boylestad ... MacMilliam Publishing
          *This is the one, from ground zero, through to some pretty advanced stuff*
          It's associated lab manual ...
          Digital Fundamentals ... Thomas L. Floyd ... Same Publisher as above ...
          which is also known as Collier MacMilliam Canada, Inc.
          **Good for trouble shooting a lot of chip based switching, and chip
          identification in S.S amps, as well as modellers (easier to send it back to
          the manufacturer though ) ,
          Semi-Conductor Circuits Lab Manual ... David S. Comer ... Prentice-Hall Pub,
          Solid State Circuit Analysis Through Experimentation ... Kenneth A. Fiske &
          James H. Harter ... published by ? Some are older books ...
          Electron Tubes and Semi-Conductors Lab Manual ... Thomas C. Power ...
          Prentice-Hall again ... part of the series ... Electronic Technology
          ** Good for explaning about tube load lines, negative feedback, transformer
          circuits, push-pull circuits, biasing, oscillators, phase shift networks, and a
          host of other tube amp related design elements.**
          RCA Receiving Tube Manual ... I think everyone sells that ...
          A lot of downloaded free stuff from various electronic component manufacturers, especially spec sheets ... and any other white papers that you can come across on on anything ... old ham radio sights for semi related tube and coil matters ... A couple good books to refresh your math skills ...
          ... and more often than not, a big bottle of Aspirin or Tylenol ...

Comment

wow, thats alot of books. I guess I'll get 'em when I get the cash. And you were right, I do like the stock TBX control on the neck and mid. I put a steel covered copper baseplate on the bridge, and added it to the lower tone control. Damn, there was something else I was gonna ask you, but now I dont remember.

Comment

[QUOTE=beandip]wow, thats alot of books. I guess I'll get 'em when I get the cash.
              {/quote]
              Used books bookstores, college bookstores that that old books ... better than surfing flea markets ...
              And you were right, I do like the stock TBX control on the neck and mid. I put a steel covered copper baseplate on the bridge, and added it to the lower tone control. Damn, there was something else I was gonna ask you, but now I dont remember.
              PM me if you think of it ... don't post ...PM ... Later.

Comment

Working...
              X