Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-14 and SH-PG1n ?

hi i am new to your forum and could use some opinions

I am having a replica LP silverburst being custom build.

Because of the weight issue and because i didnt want the guitar to sound to "dark" its being made out of korina ( neck and body ) instead of brazilian mohagony.

I know with pups youll only know what they sound like till they are actualy in your guitar. But id like to know what you think of the combination of a pearly gates neck and custom 5 bridge in a guitar like this. I will use it for rock mostly with some blues and hard rock as well. I thought about a jb also but i think i will like the custom 5 better for the music i play.

regards,

patrick
    My Gear

Re: SH-14 and SH-PG1n ?

I like that combination for a Les Paul, but you may find it a bit bright because you're using brighter sounding woods in the construction of the guitar. I might consider going with an Alnico II Pro for the neck, as it will match up a little better with the brighter wood than the Pearly Gates. I would try the C5 in the bridge, although it's hard to say whether or not it will be too bright in that guitar. The Custom and Custom Custom are also options that you might want to look into.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I'd go with Nickel covered Custom 5/Jazz Both Alnico 5, and they sound great in LP's.

I always use C-5's in my Pauls, but lately I've been trying other neck pickups. 59's, Seth Lover, and Jazz are all equally great, in different ways.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

That would be a good combination. I'm not a big fan of the C5 but that's just my opinion, tons of guys around here love that pick-up in the bridge of a LP... Since Korina is a little brighter than mahogany, a Custom custom might be really nice in the bridge, the custom is nice but won't be great in clean situations... I'm a huge fan of the Pearly gate so I'd use it, a '59 could also be a nice option...

Comment

My LP is mahogany & I use the C-5/PGn combo & absolutely love it! I like a brighter trebly tone so I really don't notice any problems. I also use the tone/volume knobs quite a bit for tone variations, so....I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of Korina, but Seth Lover/Alnico II combo might sound nice, & there's always the fall-back token JB/'59 or Jazz combo that you probably can't go wrong with.

AND WELCOME!!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I tried that combination in a maple top magony body/neck warmoth (somewhat similar to your Lp copy). I found the combination too bright in the bridge and too midrangey in the neck. I switched the C5 bridge for a Custom Custom and put an A5 magnet in the PGn (actually, I just switched the A2 and A5 magnets between the two). That was much better, but I'm not completely satisfied.

Anyway, the maple will be bright and the mahogany/korina will be bassy, as will the C5, which for me, made a really bad combination of overwhelming bass and icepick highs.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

Thanks all

Well I am just going to give the C-5 and PG a go i think. It might turn out quite nice and if it really doesnt at least ill have a refference point for that guitar that should make it easier to find the best pups for it. Then they can always find a place in another guitar. When its finished ( takes 2 months still ) ill post how it turned out.

regards

Pat
              My Gear

Comment

Working...
              X