Might try Emgs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Might try Emgs...

Why do people get the 85 for the neck then expect good cleans with that much output??

Get the 60 already and stop complaining about the bad cleans of EMGs....they/it have great cleans.

Comment

This goes for anyone who uses or is thinking of using EMGs... the 18 volt mod is unbelievable! Its too easy, and if you ever thought they sounded good before, you won't believe it after that second battery is installed. It makes them louder, and fills out the tone a little bit.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

some one already posted clips of the 9 volt vs 18 volt mod in the tonelounge somewhere
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
          If you don't have a tube amp, don't bother. EMG's sound worse than crap with solid state amps....

Also it doesn't matter what guitar you put these in, it seems to mask all characteristics of the guitar they are placed into. It could be made out of plywood....

Like the other guys said, don't be a bandwagon yuppie and contribute to this nu-metal lack of tone and ability crap. Just because someone else uses them doesn't mean you have to.
          i've posted this before, but people agree with me. solid state distortion interfaces much better with EMGs than tube distortion, especially if its into a wound-up valve clean channel...

i record with my 89, straight into the back of my pc... i love the sound i get for so little outlay, especially when it's filled out with reverb

i have a plywood guitar with the EMGs in... its my main gigging guitar. its funny how you can tell someone who doesn't own the damned things, stuff you never hear about them :

- They CANNOT feedback microphonically, since theyre epoxied. your amps tubes will squeal before the EMGs do
          - you CANNOT get reverse polarity shocks (e.g from a mic) since the strings aren't connected to the earth circuit. this is a major plus point for me at least

don't get me wrong, the 81 sounds trashy clean... but you wouldnt use a bridge hot rail for cleans either, would you?

People who say 'EMG's are sterile' are stereotyping the entire range based on the 81 IMO... if you have a half-decent amp and knowledge of how to use it, you can get all kinds of sounds out (look in the tips n clips section)

and EMG bass pickups? they are gorgeous. ive just installed a 35P and 35J, and i wouldnt swap them for the world. no feedback, no noise, and more tonal range than i could possible use

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
            If you don't have a tube amp, don't bother. EMG's sound worse than crap with solid state amps.

with that said, I like EMG's, but they are a one trick pony. I am happy with my Jazz and '59 necks, and my JB and Distortion bridges. I find the Distortion to be sweeter and nastier than the 81 in the bridge when you want it to be.

EMG's are great, you get a great deal of chunk and sustain, but I HATED HATED the cleans. Also it doesn't matter what guitar you put these in, it seems to mask all characteristics of the guitar they are placed into. It could be made out of plywood.

For that reason, down the road when I have a little extra cash I'll get an inexpensive axe and put EMG's in just to have that sound. I sold my Schecter C-1 plus with the zakk wylde set just recently to buy an ESP EC-1000 with Duncans and I couldn't be happier. I was getting pissed as hell with how two dimensional the sound was.

Like the other guys said, don't be a bandwagon yuppie and contribute to this nu-metal lack of tone and ability crap. Just because someone else uses them doesn't mean you have to.

I'm not slamming OR supporting them, just giving you my opinion and observations from using them. Surpringly though, I was able to get a pretty good jazz clean tone from the 85 in the neck with the right amp settings. They DO get super clean. Say jazz around a metal guy and that's enough to give them an aneurysm. Reminds me of this one time I brought a tele to an open jam and this METAL guy with his BLACK bronze series BC RICH made fun of my wimpy ugly Telecaster. That is until I ran circles around him and shredded better than he could, on a tele no less. That right there made my day.

Moral of the story, don't forget endorsements mean companies pay people to use their products so yuppies go out and buy them because their favorite player uses them. They never use those products exclusively either. Also, stereotypes suck. You don't have to own a black pointy guitar with EMG's to be a good metal player. Spend more time practicing than trying to look the part.

last part of the rant:

don't sling your guitar down by your knees, #1 you look like an idiot and people are making fun of you, #2 it's bad for your hands, wrists, arms, back, etc. If you still want to be able to play when you get older, don't do it.
            I had to ressurect this it's one of the most funny post I have ever read in my life!!!
            Jake - "When I asked a guy how to hardcore dance at a show, he told me "Fight the invisible ninjas""

Comment

Don't get a Peavey Bandit and expect these to work wonders.
              Hey now! I have a bandit Y'know sunlight used those amps for a long time with nothin but a boss hm-2 in front of em I will admit though, I yearn for a nice tube amp.

I have emgs in my cheapo sg, and I can say this- they cut wonderfully, and have a good sound but ARE one dimensional. You get the emg sound and nothing more. You don't like it? Tough cookie. I prefer the 85 to the 81 for the most part but the 81 sounds pretty good for thinner tones. You can get enough variety from the two to suit quite a few needs but I get tired of the characteristic "emg sound" every now and again. can't wait to get those duncans installed in my other guitar. Should make for a nice change.
              Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
              Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
              Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
              Marshall 1960a
              Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Um, I like EMGs, but the 81 is a terrible bridge pickup IMO. It's very trebly and scooped-sounding and no, not good for cleans. If you're getting the 81/85 set, use the 85 in the bridge like mentioned before. It's a lot fatter with huge output. If that's what you want, you can't go wrong.
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

There are quite a few misconceptions about active pickups and EMGs in general. I know some good local blues and jazz guys who swear by EMGs for their utter clarity and transparecy. I had a korean guitar that sounded terrible to my ears. All of the terrible qualities I hear unplugged were so much more apparent with EMGs than another other pickup. Plus, you should be able to cover any style when choosing from 60, 60A, 89, 85, or 81.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething
                    Um, I like EMGs, but the 81 is a terrible bridge pickup IMO. It's very trebly and scooped-sounding and no, not good for cleans. If you're getting the 81/85 set, use the 85 in the bridge like mentioned before. It's a lot fatter with huge output. If that's what you want, you can't go wrong.
                    Sweet.....I knew that saving this post would be worth my time.....

Originally posted by jeremy
                    the 81 is all mids so it pushes the amp harder

THE 81 IS NOT SCOOPED SOUNDING....it has plenty of mids...and next to no bass.

Out of all of them, the 85 is probably the most scooped, and even it has plenty of mids.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                    X