More cap talk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More cap talk!

I know this was already discussed, but I couldnt really get anything from it since I wasnt able to comprehend some of the terms used.
    anyway, I just want to know what are the differences in caps (not cap values) and why its said that some caps are better than others
    Why are ceramic caps supposidly bad?
    why are paper and oil caps good?
    what is polypropilene (sp)?

I know Lew did a sound test using a push pull pot and two differnt types of caps. But why is it that Bumble Bee caps are supposidly the holy grail? Just a couple of questions I had. Next, come resistors.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: More cap talk!

here's my usual quote from Ken Fischer :

I said, "Never use a ceramic disc as a tone cap in a guitar". Of course the question became what I should use? I don't know!!! O.K., I do know! (You guys, and gals are sharp)
    First capacitors come in multitude of types, values, and voltages. The Sprague Black Beauty, also known as "bumble bee caps", are really great. Of course they don't make them any more.
    I have heard that Gibson has had these caps made again for the 2003 Gibson Historics, but are not being as an aftermarket item. If you have a 50's Gibson, the .02 (really .022) Black Beauty was used. I used an old Fender value, Black Beauty in my Tele. It is a .047, (Fender calls for .05, which is for our purpose, the same thing). These caps were nicknamed Bumble Bee because they had color code bands around a black body. They look sort of like a giant Bumble bee.

Let's get to the important points of choosing a modern cap. First you want the correct value. Of course, feel free to try other values than traditional ones, if you are after something different. Most humbuckers use .022 (.020), and most single coils .05 (.047). You want separate film foil, not metallized types. Mylar and polyester film works better then polypropylene film.
    Since pickups put out very low voltage, the voltage rating should not matter, but it does seem to have an affect. Traditional voltage values are commonly, but not always, 200 or 400 volt ratings.
    The Black Beauty caps used in old guitars were typically the 400 volt type. Another interesting point is that, if you reverse the cap end to end, it will sound different in use. I jump mine in with test clips, run the tone control through its range, and use directions my ear choose. Also, if you have many of the same type, try a bunch of them. They will vary slightly from cap to cap. It's worth the time to choose one you really like with your gear.
    Lastly, some people put a bright cap from hot to slider on the volume control. This is so the highs do not roll off when turning the control down. This is very amplifier/speaker dependent.
    In any case, a silver mica type is my choice, if you use one. The value judged by ear, using your guitar with your amplifier. 30PF to 220PF is the most common range. Fender once did a Tele with a .001 (1000PF) --- OUCH!
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Thanks Gary. Now, what about the physical differences between caps. Can anyone help me out there?
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "physical differences"
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

like, how do the ceramic caps differ from polyporpalene or paper-n-oil (or is it foil?) caps? Whats different from the bumble bee caps of yester year to the hoveland and mallory caps of today?

Comment

"Of course, feel free to try other values than traditional ones, if you are after something different. Most humbuckers use .022 (.020), and most single coils .05 (.047)."

You can really do some low cost fine tuning with cap values. Don't be afraid to experiment. I have seen .010 thru .047 caps used succesfully on humbucker guitars to get the effect the user was after.

"Another interesting point is that, if you reverse the cap end to end, it will sound different in use."

Canister type caps like Mallory's and Hovlands are definetly directional. Orange drops and ceramics are theoretically not, but I haven't tested them both ways to see if there is a difference.

"Traditional voltage values are commonly, but not always, 200 or 400 volt ratings."

This primarily because these are the common voltage ratings available off the shelf for the values needed. Although some say the voltage value does make a difference, the primary reason for using 400V to 600V caps was that they were an off the shelf item.

Comment

Working...
            X