Hot Rails vs Cool Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails vs Cool Rails

OK, got it narrowed down to either one of these for a neck pickup in an HSS equipped Jackson. Can anybody shed some light on the real differences between these two? Thanks.
    Owner:
    Slamo Custom Guitars
    Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Re: Hot Rails vs Cool Rails

The hotrails is really high output and very fat sounding. Works well with lots of overdrive. Think of it as someone putting an Invader in your neck slot. The coolrails is more of like a SRV on steriods kinda sound. Almost as fat as the hotrails and not as hot. Both pickups work well with a hot and and bright amp, and what I may describe as "fat" you may think of as "mushy".
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

In my Charvel 650xl (Jackson soloist clone) I've got a Hot Rails in the neck and a Cool Rails in the middle matched up with a Distrtion in the bridge. The Hot Rails in the neck gives the ultimate shred metal lead tone. It sounds so smooth playing ulta fast leads and is such a high output pickup that playing legato is effortless (and I play with 11's). The Cool Rails is more of a vintage humbucking pickup. It works well for most rock and blues styles. You can still get some good lead tones out of it, just not quite as hot as the Hot Rails (you could probably have guessed that by the name). For rhythm work, I would say that the Cool Rails wins. The Hot Rails can get a little muddy if you don't eq it right. The Cool Rails tends to be a little more consistent. I've got a Hot Rails in the bridge of another guitar and I ordered a Cool Rails for the neck of yet another guitar, so I can honestly say that they are both great pickups.

Bottom line, Hot Rails = shred metal, Cool Rails = hard rock/blues
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Frankencat, I just noticed it was you who posted this topic. What up from a fellow JCF'er.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I'll just chime in with beandip and Travis. I like both pickups.

<-------------HR-CR-HR
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Rock on Travis! Yeah thinking of the Cool Rails for the neck of my DK-2. Jacksons RULE!
            Owner:
            Slamo Custom Guitars
            Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Working...
            X