Vito Bratta tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vito Bratta tone?

About a month ago, I went into a record store, and gave White Lion's Mane Attraction a listen. I listened to the first song, Lights and Thunder. I just thought it was a great track (although a bit long), and was really enthusiastic about what was comming. I decided to put on a random track, which turned out to be Love Don't Come Easy.

And I was completely blown away!

Tapping was implemented into the guitarists style, better than in any other guitarist's style (at least to my knowledge), and the solo was one of the best I've heard. Very tastefull, almost bluesy, excellent chops, and an ending nothing short of breathtaking. Still it was underplayed, and in this cas, that was a good thing.

I walked out of the cd store, 3 albums richer.

When I got home, learned to love Vito even more. I love his clean and acoustic tones, and the way it is implemented into most of White Lion's songs (especially Lady of The Valley. I got a tear in my eye when I first heard it), and how tapping was implemented as a natural part of Vito's playing, instead of being a flash trick.

So, the question is, how to get Vito's tone? I will be getting a guitar sometime early next year, and would like to dedicate it to get a Vito style tone (Vito has slided in as my second favorite guitarist, right after Ritchie Blackmore, and right in front of Gary Moore). It will be a superstrat style axe (most likely alder body, maple neck, but if anyone else have other suggestions, this isn't final), with a H - x - S pickup setup. If possible, I want to avoid actives.

Suggestions for what other equipment would be appropriate is also appreciated, as well as tone tweaking tips.
    Last edited by Sirion; 06-07-2004, 12:26 PM.

Re: Vito Bratta tone?

Depends on what era of Vito you're talking about. On Main Attraction, he used a vintage Strat for a big part of the tracking.

Also, you need to dial in a LOT of midrange, and lay off on the bass and treble. He had a pretty typical 80's tone, but it was gainy as all get-out; probably from the EMGs. (?)
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Re: Vito Bratta tone?

Thanks for the replies!

I will prolly go for the JB then, as having 100% identical tone is not really a goal. (Another bonus then is that I can get the fav tones of some of my other favs, like George Lynch and Warren de Martini, as well as aa strat tone if it is splitted. It did those pretty good if I remember right)

Comment

Working...
      X