Brownsound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brownsound?

What does the term brownish, brown sound, or brown mean when related to a guitar or pup?
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Brownsound?

Isn't that when your guitar sounds like a chainsaw?

Comment

i have heard eddies sound refered to brown once. not quit sure what it means or when he had this sound.
      Down at the edge, close by a river.
      Close to the edge, round by the corner.
      Close to the end, down by the corner.
      Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Early Van Halen tone.

Comment

yunno, i heard it originally referring to EVH's tone because he used a variac to turn down the AC voltage supplied to his old plexis (this allowed for power tube saturation and cool tone, but resulted in tremendously shortened amp life) ... when this happens at your house (like in the summer time when everyone has their air conditioners on and the power company cant generate enough electricty), it's called a brown out .. so his sound got called the brown sound

but then just this week, i was mentioning this to a guy at work who knows alot about tube amps, and he said it referred to old tweed amps taht were covered in a brownish material, like from the 50's ... so i guess it might have two connotations

cheers,
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

i dont care what VH said it meant but for me it is a big,warm powerful tone that is never ice pick like.
            the lead tone is very fat and clear and the rhythms are just monsterous sounding
            i found this in the dimarzio tone zone pup

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
              Early Van Halen tone.
              You know, I never manage to scroll past your avatar without having to stop and admire it for a while

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                You know, I never manage to scroll past your avatar without having to stop and admire it for a while

Comment

SOUTHADC , You should see the rest of that POST!!! She is quite stunning.........

I am also a big Jenna fan, so a big thumbs up to you, too!!!!!
                  Last edited by OUTLAW1969; 06-09-2004, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
                    SOUTHADC , You should see the rest of that POST!!! She is quite stunning.........

I am also a big Jenna fan, so a big thumbs up to you, too!!!!!
                    I think it's just possible I would never see daylight again if I saw the rest of it

Jenna is very nice (I love curly hair like that on chicks ) - I'm just annoyed that the picture blurred up when I resized it, I've been meaning to sort that out. Maybe I'll just find another Jenna shot to put there

Comment

I Have Read That Eddie Got The Term Brownsound From Alex. Alex Was Referring To His Snare Drum Sound. He Said He Wanted It To Sound Like A Log. I'm Not Sure If Brown Refers To Wood Being Brown Or What. Eddie Lifted The Term From Alex. He Used It To Describe His Tone Because Brown Is A Warm, Majestic Sounding Color. At Least That Is What I Read In An Interview Once.
                      "in this day & age...music performed by humans...hum!?" - wilde silas tomkyn

Comment

Originally posted by kam7577
                        He Used It To Describe His Tone Because Brown Is A Warm, Majestic Sounding Color. At Least That Is What I Read In An Interview Once.
                        ....thus, my internet screenname across multiple forums was born......

Comment

Brownsound is the "cry" you get when you abuse a plexi.

Comment

For me, when I think "brown", I envision something of almost a visual, organic quality--unprocessed, raw, but even polished depending on the handling of the tone. His early sound really was just an overdriven amp, maybe a boost/pre-amp, and a phaser. That's essentially all I strive for--pure unadulterated sound. After that, you can take on the world!

Comment

Working...
                            X