Artie!!! Good News/ Kinda Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artie!!! Good News/ Kinda Bad News

i have figured out why my pots weren't working. This is WILD!!!

They were not burned out at all, in fact. Instead the problem came from the cord I was using!!!! I was inadvertently using a 3 pole 1/4" to XLR balanced cable. I don't know why, but when I switched to a regular old sheilded instrument both pots (and all switches/ push-pulls etc) worked flawlessly!!!
    My taper on my volume pot is the way I would expect now and my tone control works like a charm.

Why is this???

Anyway now I have one last minor problem...

Though I have grounded everything the way I always have, I am getting a moderate hum that goes away when I either touch the control plate, or touch
    the cavity ground lug. I have all grounds soldered together and screwed down to cavity lug (bridge ground also soldered to others and screwed down to cavity lug). From the cavity lug runs the ground to the jack.

I have tried a few things like grounding the neck pickup cover and checking the bridge ground to make sure it was cool. Needless to say nothing has worked so far.

Anyway this is nothing compared to the last problem. so I am fairly sure it is an easy fix once i find it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Artie!!! Good News/ Kinda Bad News

Its good to hear that you got the prime problem solved, however, thats still kinda wierd. As far as I can recall, the "tip" of a 3-conductor 1/4" jack should still be "hot". It makes me wonder if the XLR connector might be wired with pin 1 to the "tip". Normally, an XLR connector should be:

2: Hot (tip)
    3: negative (ring)
    1: shield (ground)

If going to a two prong 1/4" connector:

2: tip
    1 & 3: sleeve (ground)

As for your noise problem, thats a bit tricky. Both my twin-humbucker equiped guitars have noise and buzz problems. Neither of my Strats do.
    Your body makes a great antenna, and when you touch the ground on a guitar, you can easily inject a signal into the system.

I'm still working on ways to solve this myself, but its more an artform, than it is science.

Comment

Working...
    X