Duncan Distortion and Strat pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion and Strat pots

I have decided on a Duncan Distortion for my American Std. Strat, but I was wondering if I had to change the (I think) 250k stock pots to 500k for best tone quality?

I need something good for rythm metal and rock, but good as well so its clear when I do some lead work.

'preciate it!

Re: Duncan Distortion and Strat pots

Originally posted by bara686
    I have decided on a Duncan Distortion for my American Std. Strat, but I was wondering if I had to change the (I think) 250k stock pots to 500k for best tone quality?

I need something good for rythm metal and rock, but good as well so its clear when I do some lead work.

'preciate it!
    i'd say 300k pots, nice middle ground...

Comment

I called GC and they said a 500k pot would be fine for the Distortion, but I worry from what I hear I dont want it to be too bright, but how good do you think is their estimate... I am playing an amer std. strat through a peavey 5150 if that helps at all, I really need to make the right decision here, if I switched to a 300k pot would my other Stock pups play as nice as they were? and would the Distortion not be too bright?

Comment

I called GC and they said a 500k pot would be fine for the Distortion, but I worry from what I hear I dont want it to be too bright, but how good do you think is their estimate... I am playing an amer std. strat through a peavey 5150 if that helps at all, I really need to make the right decision here, if I switched to a 300k pot would my other Stock pups play as nice as they were? and would the Distortion not be too bright?
        well, with single and humbuckers that share pots, it's kinda hard, with 250k pots strats soudns right, with 500k pots humbuckers sounds good, but when they share neither sounds perfect (in my opinion), with 300k's teh single coils will sound a little brighter and the humbucker will sound a little darker...

Comment

but if I went 500k the bucker would sound good but the bucker+mid setting might sound a little bright?

Comment

but if I went 500k the bucker would sound good but the bucker+mid setting might sound a little bright?
            possibly... depends what you consider bright. singles might be a tad harsh with 500k pots..

Comment

I don't know how your Strat is wired with the Volumes & Tones but the original Strat wiring had no tone on the bridge pickup and a tone each for the middle and neck pickups. If your guitar isn't already wired like that, I would wire it that way and use a 500k pot for the volume control and just roll off a bit of the highs with the tone pots for the middle and neck pickups. Just a thought.
              Dang, I rock!

Comment

Working...
              X