Pickups for a mahogany body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for a mahogany body

I have a ibanez s520 with the crappy v1 and v2 pup's what kind of pickups sound the best for a mahogany body guitar????? (I know stupid question but I've never owned this type of wood)
    thx
    Guitars:
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde w/ ZW emg set
    Peavey Wolfgang QT w/ SD scremin' demon in bridge
    Jackson Soloist 3 w/ Jb in bridge
    Ibanez 2570ex vst With tone zone
    2x Ada mp1 preamp
    2x Marshall '68 plexi super lead heads
    Marshall Jcm 800 100 head
    Mesa Boogie triple rectifier head
    Soldano Slo-100 Head
    Combos:
    Marshall Jcm 2000 tsl 602 tube amp

Re: Pickups for a mahogany body

I use '59 necks and Demon bridges in my mahogany SG's. I can get a classic Sabbath sound with this set and even a more modern tone with just the Demon bridge. Both are very open and full sounding pickups for mahagony.
    Last edited by Dirtyking; 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM.

Comment

what kind of tone are you looking for? also what's crappy about the pups you already have? this will help us advise you into great pups. (for example, i have to mahogony bodied guitars, and four different pups in em, my buddy had a mahog guitar with two other pups in it. Each guitarist needs certain things)
      Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I love the CC/PGb(in the neck) set I have on my mahogany japanese ibanez S470. A little on the thick side, that is why I have replaced the a2 magnets in it with a3s.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Try a JB/Jazz, it's a classic and just can't be beaten in a mahogany bodied guitar. It'll offer you everything from some post-modern jazzy-runs to '80's metal. My #1 favorite guitarplayer Marty Friedman used it in his SZ520, and it rocked the hell out of anyone! The JB is very melodic, with a little cut but no harshness. It covers a lot of ground, I use it for shred and I'm certainly not the only one . The Jazz is ultraclean, and articulate, and handles high-gain situations perfectly. Both pick ups won't mud up, or brighten up since it's a mahogany body.
          Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
          Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
          Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
          Marshall 2x12 Vintage
          Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
          X