*any EVH users*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *any EVH users*

When I change my pickups in my SG, I'm looking to keep a medium-high output pickup in the bridge, with an APH-1 in the neck. Currently, I'm torn between a JB and a CC, but I'm very curious about the EVH. Can anyone tell me about this pickup, in terms of output, high-mid-low, clarity, warmth/harshness, creamy/punchy, and anything else you would want to describe this pickup as being? And, of course, does it work with the APH-1?

-Jeremy

Re: *any EVH users*

It's an alnico 2 pickup, but it is low output. I believe it measures just under 9k, which is PAF territory. I've never used one, so I can't really tell you much more than that. But if you want something with medium-high output, you may not like it.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Lew... you have to trya Custom/59 Hybrid with an Alnico 2 magnet... I have one in my SG with and A2 neck pickup and it sounds great! Otherwise, I would suggest the Custom Custom...
      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

haha I think I just randomly picked Lew's avatar... I should change it, seeing as though he owns me in terms of SD forumness...

Comment

I have the alnico 2 neck/ EVH bridge combination in my ernie ball exis sport.
          The two definitely balance well together. The EVH is just that little bit more powerful.

But as rspst14 basically said, it is a pretty low output pickup. There is a big difference in output between the EVH and the JB and CC. I would suggest you try a low output pickup like a 59 with your setup first - it just may not be powerful enough for you.
          As far as its tone goes, it is quite warm, but has more clarity than most a2 magnet pickups, but still had less definition to it than say a 59. It has a lovely clean sound with a kind of 'sheen' to it. It also had very good harmonics for a lower output pickup.

I had a CC in my axis before i changed to the EVH. As i said before, there is a huge output difference. The CC is more compressed, more narrow sounding, and has a lot less top end. Like all lower output pups, the EVH is more 'airy', a bit more open (though not as open as a 59), but needs more amp gain to get it going. If you want to play modern metal type stuff, i would actually avoid both the EVH (not powerful enough) and CC (too much mids, too little bass and treble) and go with the JB. If you want the play classic rock/ lighter stuff, the EVH is fine, but i am not sure if you will find it to be worth the extra money over a 59.
          I would also say that IMO (and i know others will disagree with this), there is no reason why you should have a bridge pup with an a2 magnet just because you neck pup has an a2 magnet. A 59, C5, screamin demon or a any other a5 magnet pup will work just fine with an a2 in the neck.
          Last edited by zak; 06-15-2004, 03:49 AM.
          Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
          Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
          Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
          Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
          Fender American Series Telecaster
          Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
          Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
          Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Working...
          X