Any help with possible pickup mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help with possible pickup mod?

I've heard of people using the bobbins from different pickups together. I'm considering hybridizing (is that a word? ) a JB and an Invader. Does anyone have any tips or warnings on doing this?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Any help with possible pickup mod?

i'd like to try the invader myself, but it's been beaten with the ugly stick after it fell out of the ugly tree while hitting every branch ..

it IS that ugly i aint touching it..

i dont know how much of it's tonal characteristics is based on it's 'looks' (same as a hotrail) and what would be the downsides of normal bobbins

Comment

The farther away you get the coils from each other in terms of their number of turns the more unbalanced they become, also the less of humcancelling effect you will get ... most people don't seemed to be bother by it though. I don't know how far you would have to unbalance them though in order to practically negate the humcancelling effect. Also the Invader has three magnets if I remember correctly, not sure if that would present a problem or not, you could also mix the magnets from the invader with the magnet from the JB as I think they are different (even if the type is the same, they might not be the same strength ... I can't remember off hand wha t the JB has as far as magnet type). You can always try it, and put it back if you don't like it ... also you can always wrap each coil with electrical tape, and then wrap it with shielding foil, ground the foil to the baseplate. Always ground a shield, I heard some guy talking about shielding his single coil pup and then not connecting it to ground ... that can actually make the situation worse in cases. You don't lose much high end at all ( upper end hash and RFI) , and on the humbucker you probably couldn't tell the difference.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Thanks Kent. I have already swapped the magnets. The JB currently has the Invaders mags in it. For the record, the JB has an Alnico 5. I probably won't end up going any further with it, as it seems a little too easy to junk two nice pickups.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
        X