Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redoing HSH, 5 way, split buckers

Hi guys,
    I wanna swap out the pickups in a new acquisition of mine but I'm a bit confused about the wiring. There are currently epiphone pups in there but theres only 3 wires coming out. Now at this moment you have probably gothered that I'm new to this...and you're correct

I've drawn how it's wired up now... but I'm not sure it's done correctly.

Here's how I want it to work.
    switch pos 1: bridge
    2: bridge & middle
    3: middle
    4: middle & neck
    5: neck

Mini on/off toggles splitting each of the buckers.

The new pups I'm putting in there have 4 wires; black, red, green & bare.

I've started a diagram, so if anyone can help me out by finishing it, I'd much appreciate it!!!

I also didn't understand how the 5way switch in the SD diagrams was drawn... so I did my own to best show how mine actually looks. Hope it makes sense!!!

PS I already did a search & found this thread...but I have no idea what is going on here either!
    Danny Jenkins
    Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
    motiongraphics.com.au

Re: redoing HSH, 5 way, split buckers

Current wiring:
    Danny Jenkins
    motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

The blank canvas!
      Danny Jenkins
      motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

i have the same problem and i have no idea what to do. the pickups i ordered should be coming in the mail any day now so if i mess around with the wiring and find something that works ill let you know. until then if you find out do you think you could let me know?

Comment

i think i figured out the wiring for it, but i dont understand your 5-way switch drawing. maybe if you showed me a picture of what it looks like i could finish your diagram

Comment

Ok well I searched around the web looking at switches & mine didn't look like any of them! Here's a pic of inside my cavity

Try and divert your eyes from the awesome paintwork on this guitar

If someone can help me out with the above posted diagrams I'd much appreciate it!!!

Danny Jenkins
            motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

i recently applied 90% identical mod to my explorer, only i decided NOT to route a space for a single coil in the middle, instead, keep the guitar as close to stock as possible. i put in a 5 way switch that runs like this

1. bridge
              2. bridge
              3. bridge and neck
              4. neck
              5. neck

yes i know that looks quite stupid, because i was going to have the single coil mid running in positions 2 and 4. i put in a series/split/parallel switch for the bridge pup and neck, but realized i only liked the series and split options, so im gonna remove the switches (except for the in/out of phase switch for position 3 which sounds like BUTTER) so that the switch will run this way

1. bridge (series)
              2. bridge (north coil)
              3. bridge and neck (series, in phase)
              4. neck (north coil)
              5. neck (series)

what pups are you splitting? i split a PGb and it sounds AMAZINGLY similar to a strat, and im going to be putting the north split on an alnico II pro or seth lover, still havent decided yet
              Gibson 76' Reissue Explorer
              99' Korina Explorer- GFS modded
              2007 Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe
              TC Electronics D-Two
              TC Electronics G Major
              DMC Ground Control Pro+GCX Audio Switcher
              Boss SD1
              Ibanez TS9
              Monte Allums modded Boss SD1
              MXR Micro Amp

Comment

Who makes the new pickups you're putting in? And, what's the single in the middle going to be?

Comment

im not 100% sure about that 5 way switch but looking at the old diagram i think i did it right. also keep in mind that i used Seymour Duncan color codes for the wires, so if the pickups arent SDs, then use this and match the colors to your pickup. http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/c...ckupcolorcodes

and for the middle pickup i made the hot wire black and the ground wire white. use the website i gave you to figure out which is which.

Comment

Cool, thanks!
                    I'll give it a shot & let you know if it works!!!
                    Danny Jenkins
                    motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. The SD wiring diagram that comes with the PU doesn't have an illustration for the 5 way selector. I have copied the way my neck PU is wired i.e. red and white to the pull/push pot, bare to earth (tone) and black and green to the poles on the switch where the old PU used to be soldered.

Something is not right though. In HB mode the new PU is very quiet but in split mode is is very loud. I've tried swapping the black and green but the results are the same.

The guitar is an Ibanez with HSH PU arrangement.

Andy help appreciated.

Comment

R4debe, the current pickups in your guitar use a different color wire than Seymour Duncan pickups.

If you copied the color wires that were already in the guitar, you'll need to refer to this color chart (DiMarzio would relate with the color scheme).

'http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Comment

Thanks for your reply Scott. Everything is sorted now.

Comment

Working...
                          X