difference between '59 bridge and APII pro bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between '59 bridge and APII pro bridge

is the main difference between the two, the a5 magnet in the '59 and the a2 magnet in the apII pro?

Re: difference between '59 bridge and APII pro bridge

Not really, they sound quite different. The EQ chart shows them as having similar EQ's in theory, but they don't sound anything alike to me. The '59 is much brighter, more articulate, and more clear. The Alnico II Pro is looser, warmer, and smoother. The '59 has a lot of bass and treble with less midrange. The Alnico II Pro has a fair amount of bass and treble, but it doesn't have the same type of cutting sound as the '59. The highs are warmer and smoother than the '59, and the lows are softer.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
      Not really, they sound quite different. The EQ chart shows them as having similar EQ's in theory, but they don't sound anything alike to me. The '59 is much brighter, more articulate, and more clear. The Alnico II Pro is looser, warmer, and smoother. The '59 has a lot of bass and treble with less midrange. The Alnico II Pro has a fair amount of bass and treble, but it doesn't have the same type of cutting sound as the '59. The highs are warmer and smoother than the '59, and the lows are softer.

Ryan

so how would an a2 magnet sound in the '59? or and a5 magnet sound in the aIIpro?

by the way, your response in the "Farenheit 911" thread was well said.

Comment

The main difference is the DC resistance. A 59 set will be closer to the A2P set (lots) but then the resistance comes into play. We're talking #42 gauge wire here and the rule I've learned to follow on neck pickups is not to exceed 7.8k on the neck. Dr Barlow and Lew stay at or below 7.6 but they are using fender amps in which the output transformer produces frequencies below 100hz (Mesa's are the same). Marshall's produce rather choke those frequencies and allow for a beefier rather woofier neck PU (you can go above 7.6k). You didn't specify if you were comparing sets, necks, or bridges so I don't know what you are trying to accomplish but think of it as they would be the same + or - the DC resistance or the 59s would be an extended line of SD a2 pickups.
        Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

No idea how an A5 would sound in an Alnico II Pro. I think it might scoop the mids too much. I have an A3 in a '59, and it sounds pretty nice. the bass and treble are a little softer and smoother than the stock '59, there are more mids, and the pickup has an overall sound that's looser and warmer. I'm not out to copy the EVH sound like everyone and their brother seems to be these days, but it does a very convincing EVH sound when playing the old VH stuff. The A2 '59 would be pretty similar.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
          X