Best pickups for early Rush tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickups for early Rush tone?

I am going to get a Jay Turser JT137 with Grover tuners. It is going to be modded with new pickups, pots and caps, bone nut, input jack and toogle switch, and maybe a tonepros type of bridge and tailpiece.

The tone I am looking for is an early Rush- Alex Lifeson type of tone from 74-late 70's- he used a 335, 345, and a 355 Gibson quite a bit. I already have a 76 JMP 1959 superlead and a 79 JMP 2203 loaded with Siemens EL34's and Mullard ECC83 and RFT ECC83. I play through an Orange 4/12 with 30 watt G12 reissue Celestions with basketweave cloth.

Which Duncans would be best for those type of tones? I am considering:

1. Neck- Seth Lover, Bridge- Seth Lover
    2. Neck- 59, Bridge- Seth Lover

Any help would be great!

Re: Best pickups for early Rush tone?

The Ants, they're pretty much the SL's but Dun-Aged. If you cant afford the Ants, then get the Seths.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

As you say, in the 70s Lifeson mostly played Gibson semis (and an LP!), which I believe were contemporary (i.e. not vintage at the time) and had stock pickups. Those pickups were probably T-Tops, which were essentially PAF-type humbuckers with alnico V magnets. In my opinion the closest SD pickup would therefore be the '59.

Having said that, the Seth would probably fit the bill too. The '59 is a harder sounding pickup with a stronger bottom end. The Seth has a fuller midrange and an overall smoother sound, but a softer bottom end.

My personal preference in the neck position would be for the Seth, because of the softer bottom. Is there any particular reason why you have ruled out the '59 for the bridge? It's bright, but it's punchy and full too, and with good pots and caps will make an excellent job of 70s rock tones.

I tend to think of Seths (or Ants) for emulating 50s Gibsons, '59s for 60s/70s Gibsons (sounds silly but it's the alnico V magnets ).

Comment

Thanks, I believed his used late 60's Gibsons- around 68-69 I believe. Yes, he did use his 335,345,355 and he used his Les Paul as well. The 355 was used alot during A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres along with his LP and the doubleneck SG.Thankfully I have many soundboards from their career! I have 3 full SB from the 78-79 Hemispheres tour- those Hiwatts sound great!

I guess one vote so far for a Seth for neck and a 59 for the bridge.

More opinions are welcomed! This is a very informative site compared to some of the other sites that I have found.

Comment

Keep in mind that the neck is maple instead of Mahagony. I have heard that maple is a bit brighter.

If this is the case, wouldn't the Seth be a better choice to balance out the brighter wood that is used in the neck wood?

Comment

thats why I said a seth. It should add a little extra warmth to balance out the maple neck. by the way, welcome to the forum, bro.
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I'd go with '59s if you're looking for that type of sound in a Duncan pup. If it doesn't matter to you what you use, you might try looking for some Gibson Superhumbuckers from the early 70's that were epoxy encased. I don't remember seeing too many pics of Lifeson with a LP, but I do remember the 1275 and the numerous 330 models.
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                I don't remember seeing too many pics of Lifeson with a LP
                I think he mostly played the semis (and if I remember correctly he had them stuffed with cotton wool or something to help control feedback), but on the cover pix of All The World's A Stage he's got an LP.

Comment

Working...
                X