Pickup stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup stickers

This will be my very first post, so I hope you don't mind by my beginning with a few questions.

I have a 1980 Charvel and the original pickups are Duncan Zebra types--one is a Duncan Custom in the bridge with a sticker that reads "Duncan Custom" rather than a code, and the neck position seems to be a Jazz with a sticker that has the initials "JMN". Any information on their history would be welcomed. They both have the metal braided shielding if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Pickup stickers

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Boston Joe! Don't worry about asking questions right off the bat, we're all helpful here, and besides, asking is the only way to learn.

I don't know anything about the Custom's history, but here's what I know about the infamous Jazz model, or JM:

Awhile back (few decades ) Jeff Beck was looking for some new pickups, or getting a guitar fixed. The guy he took it to fixed up his axe, but gave him these new pickups that buzzed, and essentially ruined Beck's axe. So he took it to a good friend of his, Seymour Duncan! It just so happened that Seymour knew exactly what to do for Jeff, so he fixed up his guitar, and wound to special pickups for him. The bridge model was called the JB, or Jazzy/Bluesy, and the neck model was called the JM, later to be changed to Jazz Model.

There's what I remember, but surely someone else can post the full story. There are other posts about this history in this board too, so search and you can probably find something more comprehensive than what I wrote
    Last edited by Metalman_666; 06-19-2004, 11:37 PM.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Thanks Metalman,

That helps--I'm guessing that the "N" stands for neck and there may have been a bridge version--or else, it was given the "N" to designate it for the neck position hence no bridge version existed.

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Thanks.

I have checked out that page in the past--but I've noticed that the Jazz Model code for the neck position is JN, not JMN as is found under my pickup--could be a typo on the web page. My pickups don't have four-conductor wiring either, just the braided shielding.

Comment

Working...
          X