Star Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Grounding

Using a LP clone(2V,2T,3Way)If the electronics cavity is copper shielded correctly,can a star ground be used instead of soldering ground wires to all the pots?

Re: Star Grounding

I do not know if it is worth doing on your Les Paul. Factory Les Pauls are not shielded this way (or are ESP) and there have been no complaints in the past...

Still, There are 3 very good reasons to 'star ground' a guitar :-

1. by adding a 400v capacitor you might hold off a bad DC surge for a few crucial seconds - a killer shock is no joke.
    2. the additional shielding will stop unnecessary buzz and hum from bare wires and components which are obviously not shielded.
    3. If you follow all his instructions then you will replace unshielded wires with shielded ones and yes, the circuitry becomes emtombed in shield. That is basically a good idea for a Strat or Tele.

Note: it will NOT stop 60 cycle hum on vintage single coil pickups, but will help a little - especially if you have lo output pups. The pickup rises thru the shielding and it happily receives signals from around the universe...
    Note: the chances of a noticable improvement by replacing the earthing to the pots with the shielded base is negligable (the concern of an earthing loop is probably open to debate).
    Note: at first I used an electronc spray paint but it became flaky at places and did not conduct when some other places got dirty or eroded with time. I used alu foil for the front plate and robust copper tape for the guitar body.

here is the link:- http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/index.php

Comment

yes
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

perluss one

I did it to my strat, and it's quieter than my Jackson with actives
        Originally posted by B2D
        Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

99 MIJ Jackson Performer PS4 (LW Classic/Metal)
        ?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
        04 MIM Fender Strat
        97 Peavey 5150 w/matching cab
        91 Peavey Bravo
        Boss NS2
        Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
        Digitech GNX1
        --FOR SALE--
        06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper1 View Post
          Using a LP clone(2V,2T,3Way)If the electronics cavity is copper shielded correctly,can a star ground be used instead of soldering ground wires to all the pots?
          Reviving this thread, because it looks like it might've been the only one on the subject here, ever. Did my epic Warmoth build (8 years from start to finish) star grounded, and I can't possibly recommend it too much. Buzz is lowered something on the order of 20 dBs, and the difference between touching strings or hardware and hands off is almost negligible. In addition to having "more tone" (because of less noise), the middle position on this 2 p'up instrument has such a defined sound, it sounds more like a virtual middle p'up, rather than bridge & neck parallel. Definitely a must if you're doing a parts project or renovation.

Comment

Originally posted by CloneRanger View Post
            Reviving this thread, because it looks like it might've been the only one on the subject here, ever. Did my epic Warmoth build (8 years from start to finish) star grounded, and I can't possibly recommend it too much. Buzz is lowered something on the order of 20 dBs, and the difference between touching strings or hardware and hands off is almost negligible. In addition to having "more tone" (because of less noise), the middle position on this 2 p'up instrument has such a defined sound, it sounds more like a virtual middle p'up, rather than bridge & neck parallel. Definitely a must if you're doing a parts project or renovation.
            Nice input, thank you.
            Same experience (with other axes) here.
            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
            X